Remnant Old Growth

I paddle through the swamps and creeks here and see the remnants of cypress stumps that boggle my mind and have to wonder what it was like. I also have to wonder how they got that giant timber out of some of these remote places with very limited machinery. The only old growth cypress left here are hollow or broken off. It's also amazing that they found and cut every one of them, they left no stone unturned, even in the most inaccessible spots.

I hard Walmart , maybe saw a package marked cypress, sells mulch made from the trees in the gulf that used to do something... Oh cut the power of hurricanes in the gulf swamps before landfall. Hard to harvest a swamp without road building someplace that wasn't set up to drain the same with lots of roads. Somehow flooding doesn't allow got regeneration, like the old growth cedar on reservations in WA. On, no, go ahead cut it all at once, good plan.

Google Upper Florentine Valley.
Been some big time protesting going on there for years.
They are cutting Old growth Eucalyptus Regnans and chippig it for pulp.
Ridiculous low prices per ton, but the amount of wood per acre makes it economically feasible.

Google tasmania forest, pulp wood. China

I found lots of stuff re veneer logs, saw logs, some pulp, and one big report about how Foresty in Tasmania is dying cuz japanese demand has dropped , to be partially replaced by China, but china wants their chips from plantations not from the forest, and the best use of the Tas forest is leaving it as is to create wealth via carbon credits.

It's interesting how things change. I was in Australia in 2010 when I was hearing about this. Just now reading about it, a lot of protections were passed in 2013. Then last year a lot of protections were being undone. It looks as though the battle is over the last 15% of the old growth. I just got caught up in a rabbit hole trying to figure out what's going on in tasmania. I got caught in a rabbit hole the other day about forests in SE Asia being torn down for rubber plantations. In Papua new Guinea they are being torn down and replaced with palm oil plantations. The scary thing to me is that all this has occurred in the last 100 years. That's such a short time for such a huge impact All around the world. And it's not just trees, it's all the crazy life that goes along with it.

I hard Walmart , maybe saw a package marked cypress, sells mulch made from the trees in the gulf that used to do something... Oh cut the power of hurricanes in the gulf swamps before landfall. Hard to harvest a swamp without road building someplace that wasn't set up to drain the same with lots of roads. Somehow flooding doesn't allow got regeneration, like the old growth cedar on reservations in WA. On, no, go ahead cut it all at once, good plan.
There are still plenty of small to middlin cypress trees Sean, they are regenerating, it just takes several hundred years for them to reach their potential. There are also a few areas where they are still being cut on private land and turned into lumber and mulch but it's mainly pond cypress. The big boys were bald cypress. There is one that was missed in central Florida that's estimated to be over 3,000 years old.

Cool pic! Judging by the timber in the background, I am pretty sure that was somewhere on the west coast of the U.S. like Oregon, or Washington.

Ger: Pretty sure that the article that Fiddler posted said that it was PINE! Man, I can't believe that! WISCONSIN!??? Man, I would have thought it was WA. A little hard to believe. Heck I'll be believing all the old Paul Bunyan yarns next!!!

I take that back: It is MI

"Log bridge photo provided by life-long Oconto County woodsman Mike Zieries."

Oconto Co. is in WI

" In the fall of 1903, when we were just getting our camps going nicely, a tornado went through the timber from the southwest and blew down a considerable amount. Fortunately much of it was tributary to the six miles of track already built, but a large amount was also blown down east of the Baltimore and about five miles beyond the end of our track. The track had been built to the edge of a deep ravine and we had contemplated running the track down this ravine to the Baltimore, but that fall the Norton Lumber Company, of Ontonagon, had built a camp and constructed a logging road down this ravine so it was not practical to build our railroad at that time and we were obliged to build a very high trestle across the ravine, in a hurry. We were unable to get any help from the DSS&A so we had to have our own crew cut logs and build the bridge"

Ontanogon & Baltimore river are in MI

O.k. yeah Gerry, you're right. Thats a gigantic cedar stump in the foreground of the shot (to the right of the bridge) if I've ever seen one. No way that's pine. I guess the bridge--when you look at it is perhaps pine (on the transfers) with cedar (the shreddy bark, as the longitudinals). Totally amazing.

But does Cedar even grow in MI? :/:

Impressive and beautiful build to say the least. That trestle would have lasted long enough to extract the timber in that watershed and then be abandon without a second thought about it. Pull the tracks and move on to the next creek. Progress.. I guess.

Back