Relocation

Old Monkey

Treehouser
The wife is getting tired of this whole winter thing. We are in no position to move right now but may in the future. Business is booming for me in Boise and moving to a warmer climate where there was no work would just be stupid. Where do you guys think is the best place in the states to live and work as a tree man? Here is a brief list of factors:

Climate
Economy
Good Schools including a college.
Good balance of urban and rural.
Affordability of homes
Friendly
Good transportation
Good place for outdoor activities

North Carolina ain't so bad, The Research Triangle is doing better than a lot of places... educational opportunities to the max. I'd just as soon you picked Raleigh or Cary and stayed the hell outta my back yard. Of course, I'd rather be out west. :what:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We're not moving anytime soon, this is more of a winter time game we play to stave off the blues.

Tell each other that it may be cold, but at least you have some daylight:)

Some people can grow their company through tons of advertising and high pressure sales. The problem with this method is that once you head down this road, you need to continue pumping ever larger amounts of money into sales to continue generating new customers. But if you're new to an area then you pretty much have to advertise heavily just to get your name out there.

On the other hand, well established businesses with a good client base and lots of referral work will continue to get calls even if they never spend a dime on advertising. But this takes time, a lot of years of 'paying your dues'. The payoff is amazing though, as once you get the business rolling it can continue generating work for you without any further input. You simply answer the phone and do the work.

Referral work and the fact that I have spent 25 years building a reputation in this town is why I would not seriously consider moving and trying to reestablish my business in a new area. I haven't done any advertising for as long as I can remember, it's the Sunday before Thanksgiving and the time of year when everybody's phone quits ringing but I got two jobs today and a job yesterday simply by answering my phone. I couldn't afford to move to a different city even if somebody paid my moving expenses and gave me a free house. I'm not willing to spend the several years and tens of thousands of dollars to get reestablished.

Living in a cold winter place...it sounds like OM and family are fighting it. I hate to sound odd vague or whatever, but learning to accept the cold is a good skill for living. Fighting it makes you tensed up and then you feel colder....hostile. Make friends with the cold..... Be strong!

I try and ride my bike the seven klicks to my shop throughout the winter, the struggle with the cold is interesting.

now thee's some wisdom from Jay
i have the idea of getting out of cali,
thought about mid west area
same needs as darins......colleges , affordability etc
i just dont think i ll ever buy a home here

my bus is ok, it'd be great for a single guy or a family with 1 kid
it grosses at lowest 118k up to 200k a year

i spent almost 10 yrs building a name here and im liking those pay offs but hate the regulations here

I made my move just over a year ago. And can say for sure that I miss the client base I had. Moved to a place I enjoy and in time hope to rebuild, Miss alot of things from the prev. place friends mostly. I have never had kids so I know that made it easier. Darin if you need the vacation the door is open:)

Attachments

• 0422101426.jpg
    0422101426.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
...went through the list ... Vermont only had two ... friendly people , and outdoor activities...same as Skwerl and Butch I'd hate to leave when finally established with a good reputation ....

thing that sucks about relocating is who wants to hire a guy with ptsd ,
who can work most of the time but can lose a few days a month ?
i think i'd have a hard time finding a job
even though i have all the gear i need to do most anything

i might even have a boom off a huge job i just bid thru my friends shop
if i walk and take a commision i could get 18k
if i worked it i might be able to score a nice boom out of the job for 25k
45 working days, over a class 1 stream
lots of boom work
cant afford to register or insure it in ca

but it sure would be nice to retire, and have all my toys
and help someone out pt

but it sure would be nice to retire, and have all my toys
and help someone out pt

That is sort of my plan. I am in a flexible position here in Minot (semi-permanent for about 3 years), have all my toys and the motorhome is ready to roll, if you need "experienced" help for a few days or weeks in a warmer clime.

For a moment, I thought Altissimus was saying that Vermont had "only 2 .... friendly people". I was sure I had met more than that the last time I was there.

The grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it? This works against you when you are looking down the barrel of a cold and dark winter in Boise. But it can work in your favor if you take the family on vacation to someplace even worse. I recommend a tent campsite on the west coast of the Olympic Peninsula for about a week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Darin if you need the vacation the door is open:)

That's mighty kind of you. If I could step through the screen into that picture I would. Unfortunately this isn't going to be a year of big vacations.

I think cincinnati is great, it tends to have a solid economy and doesnt get too cold here.

i tried to get in at davey there...over qualified
ive been considering ohio,in,il, ky tn, ga areas
midwest
i think the coasts are getting more expensive to live on

i need acerage, treed land with some pastures, water, (whether spring fed or well with good gpm)
low property and income taxes , reasonable wages and cost of living, with a decent wage
does a place like this exsist
this place would be great if it wasnt for all the damn taxes and bs

Back