redneck auto aero mods. (car lover warning)

PCTREE

Treehouser
OK so I was going to be driving down to Charlotte this weekend to the comp to show a few folks the HH so decided to do an experiment with my car. Spent $7 on a roll of duck tape and used an angle grinder to remove the passenger side mirror, $3.80 for a fish eye mirror that I mounted inside the car so I could still see that side.....

OK so last trip I took car got 47.5 MPG. Admitedly it was in feb when ambient temps were lower hence air was denser.

So do y'all think I saw any MPG improvements????

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 10
You taped over the cooling fins in the grill? :?

In the Bullitt I usually run between 70-90 and get about 19-20mpg. I burn more gas but I don't care.
snoopy.gif

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The VW 1.9 diesels are so efficient they don't need much cooling. I monitored the coolant temp with a scan gauge so knew exactly what it was running. It was still getting airflow through the "VW" emblem.

Brian I would love to hook you up and remove your mirrors with my grinder:P

I love it actually.

I ponder weekly weather or not I should sell my "new" F350. I love the truck, it's the nicest I've ever had for a DD. Being able to move out on the highway is nice, tow anything, look good, and get 20mpg in a fullsize truck, and reliability are things I love. I do not love 4.35/ gallon, or the overall sheer size of it. I keep pondering of selling it, getting my money back and making another 5-6k in profit, but the thing just can't be replaced for what I payed.

OK can I get a drum roll please. So I drove 594 miles and used 10.024 gallons = 59.25 MPG;)

I haven't even started on the back of the car where the most gains are to be made or cleaned up the underside....

I want to get 80MPG out of this car but have my mind set on building a vehicle that gets 100.

Kinda goes without saying its going to look like crap:lol:

Check out aerocivic.com

Look at putting Evans coolant in it and a modified thermostat so it runs hotter. Its good for 2-3MPG improvement on a 7.3 from what I've heard. Aero is where the big gains are though, that civic went from 48 to 98 with just aero mods:|:

I can't believe I got a 20% improvement with my 1/2 hour with duct tape... I could spend thousands with coolant mod, cool air intake exhaust work/ turbo injectors and not get anywhere near 20%.....

Im going to keep messing with this car and make it look like ass but just keep writing on it the MPGs just to get people to start thinking about it. Shoot when gas hits $15 gallon every body will be grabbing the duct tape:lol:

I had a hotter thermostat for the chip truck, never put it in as the idea scared me a bit.

I figure a gutted, bigger exhaust, 6637 air filter mod, and considering changing the load range of tires as it'll never tow heavy.\

I'll wait for the duct tape mod.

Read about the waterless cooolants. Lot to be said for them no boiling water so very little pressure change which is what wears out radiators and heater cores etc plus no cavitation in the head causing hot spots. Engines can easily run hotter water is the limiting factor. Oil is good for way hotter. Trust me fuel prices are going up so this shit is going to pay back pretty quick. As you all know I'm a nut but am trying to get everything as efficient as possible. Imo it just makes sense.

Wait till I post pics of what I'm doing to the house.

Dont put yourself down Paul :?

I think your an extremely creative guy, and you have the right idea about sustainable living.

I'm going to get you turned on soon to woodgas. Thats where you can do some amazing things.

I was at an installation last week where they were running a 265kVa generator continuously on woodchips.

Sheet aluminum can be found fairly reasonably and will last longer than the duct tape, but the tape is a great way to test the theory first! 20% is damn impressive!
In my old F150, V6 five speed, I was getting 16mpg, I switched to Valvoline max life and got 17, switched to Royal Purple and it was 18!
My new F150 has seen nothing but Royal Purple, I get 16mpg normally and 13 loaded. It's amazing what oil can do for you!

Back