Quieter Stationary Engine

Dang Jerry, I didn't know you were a sailor! I can't believe we didn't discuss that when you were here. I was a sailor, military and civilian.

What did you do on the boat?

Back in the 70's in this neck of the coast, when commercial fishing and logging were going gangbusters, commercial fishing was something loggers turned to when they got tired of logging, or in the off season, and the same with fisherman. They turned to logging when the season was off or things weren't going their way. Alot of school teachers owned commercial boats and would fish during the summer salmon season. As for Jerry's fishin' story....he'll have to tell that tale.

Sounds like something out of Forest Gump, Butch. I'll bet you could tell us a good seafaring story about that.

I commercial fished for salmon here between tree jobs for 2 years. That was in 78 and 9. Man I had some days back then I never beat since. But for all the days I paid back into it I ended up going into the red. And like most fair weather fisherman here I had to rely on my primary occupation to truly survive. But those days were so full of romance and adventure for me. I'll never forget them.

Little harbors dot the coastline here and you can hop skip and jump between them following a bite. What a way to spend a few months.

Terri's family were all fishermen from Bodega and still are. She even spent a season or two fishing salmon herself. She will have to tell you all about that herself too.

I worked in Noyo harbor between jobs building steel and aluminum commercial fishing boats, and helped upgrade and outfit so many of the boats in the harbor.

When you live on the coast the ocean becomes a big part of your life. Even if it isn't your primary occupation.

A friend of mine is going down to San Diego to look at a troller for sale. If he buys that boat we're going to pilot it together up to Ft. Bragg. Those kinds of trips are fun. Well as long as the coast is clear anyway. Just running during the day and tying up in the different harbors along the coast at night. If it's fog socked though trips like that are not so much fun.

It's all so much more memorable when the coast is clear.

Interesting to read that Terri's family is from Bodega. When residing in Pataluma, I sport fished for Salmon there on many an occasion. Wicked runs sometimes, a few minutes out of the harbor and you could have your limit and be heading back in (two per person in those days). Beautiful fish! Sometimes trolling all day and you would be lucky to get one. Some conflicts between the commercial guys and the sports guys on occasion.

They used to snag coho in the great lakes .I'm not sure if it's still leagal or not .I can't imagine snagging a 25 pound fish by the tail with a treble hook .

I can. As a kid i used to snag 35-45" carp that were in a spillway to a lake each spring. Not as strong as a salmon but not weak either.

Back