Quieter Stationary Engine

brendonv

Tree Hugger
So, I've heard people joke before.

But if you rig up a pipe to dump exhaust inside a 5 gallon pale of water, does it really make it super quiet? :|:

I've got a conveyor I don't want to hear, and I think I can rig up copper fittings and dump it into a pale. Was also thinking it for something else.

Or am I still drunk from last night?

Well if nothing else it would blow bubbles .You could fill a barrel full of soapy water and have your own Lawrence Welk show or Don Ho . Tiny bubbles in the wine -------

I have a devious mind ,just can't help myself .What would happen with that bath tub flatuation business if the tub were full of bubble bath .Could you launch a bubble that would float around and burst in another room driving the occupants out doors ? What a great trick that would be .

Music wood poachers up here have been said to run their chainsaw exhaust into a bucket of water.

I'd definitely give it a go...muffling your conveyor, not poaching music wood.

It works for outboard motors.

+1
Or some of the gen sets run large baffle mufflers. They are quit quiet, but the air cooled motors still louder than a water cooled with the same quiet muffler.
Another thing is to run a pipe straight up in the air 8' or so, amazing how much less noise there is then.

That is the key with the baffle mufflers is making enough corners to get the sound out, but not increase the back pressure to much.

Brian is right. Outboard boat motors push all of their exhaust out below the water surface, and it makes a huge difference. Ever heard an outboard run out of the water? They are loud as hell!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm going to try it. Conveyor will be up and running Wednesday, firewood splitting will follow.

I think I can do it with some copper elbows, as long as the nipple size off the muffler cooperates.

Will report back.

A baffled muffler basically works by bouncing the sound waves off one another via the baffles .Colliding sound waves have a tendency to cancel one another .

A long years ago when I was involved in antique tractors we were running a 5 HP hit and miss engine on a corn sheller .A 600 RPM engine that must have fired on a half pint of gas if under a load .That SOB was like a shotgun going off in your ear .Took a then new muffler from one of my D4 Cats which was the right size and it hushed that noisey pot licker right down .So what I'm saying is if you have an old big muffler lying around it will do as good as that bucket of water .

When I was commercial fishing and drifting at night I could hear the whales song through the hull, and the prop wash of freighters miles away. It was kind of soothing in a way and helped me sleep.

You can hear earthquakes real good through the water too.

Now as far as farts go that's another thing.

Sound will travel a long way through water . I was a sonar tech and while I'm still not at liberty to say exactly how far away you can hear a ship it's truely amazing .

Now whales you can actually tell the females from the calves if you listen long enough plus each one has a distictive voice just like people .I've heard just about every thing in the water except a whale fart but I'll bet that's a dandy .Talk about a bubble wow .

Back