Powering a 12v winch with a 110v house power supply--help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, carbon could be a camel breaking straw.

Thanks.

What a pool of knowledge at the TreeHouse!

Actually, carbon is an easy fix! If you can get to the throttle body, or whatever it has and pour something in it. Take a pop bottle and fill it half with trany fluid and half with warm water, shake it up and pour it in while it's running. You will have to kick the throttle up now and again, and it will smoke to high heaven, but it will burn it out!
There's also a lot of good fuel additives out there now that you might try. But if it hasn't had a proper tune up in a while, I'd hedge my bet towards that first, plugs wire, cap rotor and have the timing set. Not sure if that one has the stupid two piece dist cap or not, but those things are junk! If you can, try and find a single piece one to replace it with.

Thanks. Kinda think that the distributor cap/ rotor had been replaced recently. Timing hasn't been set that I'm aware of.

ya. or run it to the grill, near the winch and controller, allowing a person to monitor the winch, rather than wiring the controller to the cab.

On the subject of a throttle up thing I once did a junk yard dawg fix on an antique bucket truck Tom had 15 or so years ago .I used a Chevy starter solenoid connected to the pressure switch of the hydraulics to rev the engine.It worked fine .

FWIW my name is on the last Ford 429 ever built .

What,the throttle up?

It was just a replacement for a burned up factory installed unit on a Chevy 292 in line six .Connected to the throttle linkage via a short small size chain .

You could do the same thing using a 12 volt relay with the coil connected to the winch motor and using a 12 volt solenoid .When the winch powers up it pulls in the relay which pulls in the solenoid speeding up the engine a tad bit .You could leave the relay out and just go winch motor to solenoid if you wanted to .Relays and solenoids are not that expensive .Grainger,McMaster -Carr ,flea bay .--Als' junk pile --

Okay the name on the engne goes like this .For the past 25 years I have been an electrician at Ford Lima engine plant in Lima Ohio .Lima engine was the only place the "385" engine was ever built .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_385_engine

When an engine line goes out of production it is tradition a half dozen are kept as archives .Three of those are set on the production floor for a few weeks and everybody who wants to signs them .One is kept in the lobby of the plant ,one goes to Henry Ford museum in Dearborn Mich and one to the Smithsonian in Washington DC .

In 25 years I've seen at least 4 other engines discontinued and my name is somewhere on all the last three wherever they are at .

Back