Planning a road trip

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
Hey guys, just wanted to get some research started about a road trip I want to do sometime in the near future. After talking to the Limbwalker crew, I think this could be a great learning experience for me, and give me a broad perspective of how other tree care companies operate, and the chance to learn and apply new techniques.

My idea is this: Travel around the country working for various tree care companies along the way for a week or two at a time, hopefully making enough money to live off of during the trip. My hope is that I can learn more about the tree care industry, and how companies operate, and just to meet new people, put names to faces, etc. I'd be traveling with all my own gear, have my ISA arborist certification by then, and experiences with working with my family's tree care company.

My main question right now is when would be a good time to start this trip? I know a lot would factor into this, like work flow, climbing comps(mainly the ITCC), and other things.

Second, who on here would be willing to participate in this. I can do climbing, ground work, run the ropes, operate equipment, etc. I have a few companies and people in mind I'd like to stop in on, like the Limbwalker crew, Noel Boyer and his crew, Jay Butcher and Madison tree, Jesse Huffman and a few others in AZ, and BostonBull and the Mayer Tree Outfit, Gerry Berenark, Willy, Skwerl, Burnham, just to name a few.

Thanks again everyone. The idea here is to be finished with this road trip by the end of next March or April, so I have time to settle down somewhere and get ready for college.

I think he's planning a wide berth around the entire state of Louisiana, Butch. :lol:

My work changes from week to week, but you're always welcome to ride along for a few days with me. I'm sure all the crews I work with would have no problem keeping you busy. :D

I recommend hitting Florida between November and February.

Not much work then, Brett. Nice time to visit but nothing is going on usually.

Although avoiding Florida between the months of May and September is highly recommended. Deva can tell you about that.

If your route takes you through Boise, Idaho, I can put you to work for a week or so. If you come through early summerish we could go rafting too. It sounds like a cool plan. The perfect sort of trip to take before your life gets more complicated.

Northeast gets cranking about now, then again in September/October.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys. I'd like to start near the end of June hopefully, give me about a month to work with Dad and get back in the swing of tree work.

And thats a big idea behind the trip Darin. I'd like to travel the country, go to school for 2 to 4 years, and after that maybe do some tree work abroad, like in NZ and England, and a few other places. I'm like Dad in the fact that we both like to wander, and not stay tied down in one place for too long.

I'm going to start a list here soon of everyone thats interested, and start making travel plans.

BTW, rafting sounds like a blast!

You are more then welcome to stop here for a week. I think it's a cool idea, you would learn a lot on the trip, fast.

Welcome to stop in through here to Adrian. If I have work, i'll work you, if not, we can find some big rec climbs. Maybe some record pines even :/:

i did the whole vagabond thing for years...before the internet
i would hit a town with 100,000 plus people and get the ph book and find the arbs, and call, met some good some bad, but worked my way accross ca and all the way to the mid west
fun and a great learning experience
youd be money ahead to have a pickup with shell, put all the gear down lo, and a sheet of ply on top of some 2x4 runners and throw a mattress up there, great way to stop and rest comfortably

if i have work i'll throw ya at it,
i know i'm an odd one and you probably will skip on by but we work most of the time,
june thru august is hit and miss depending on cash flow of town and growers, fire season etc
got some good rec climb spots i can turn ya loose on as well old growth firs

just do it and have fun is all i can say, i learned a lot

Sounds like a blast. Ah, to be young again, eh? I hitch hiked thousands of miles in the '70s. Also did a road trip circle. Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Giant Sequoias, down the coast of CA, across to Texas. Stayed in Tuscon, Stockton, Alpine, and Austin. Stopped in Azusa to see my Aunt, Uncle, and cousin. Oh yeah, spent a night in a lodge in the Grand Canyon. Doomb Azz me took no picture

Have fun. Wish I was going on a trip.

If you make it to Scandinavia, stop by here.
Late fall/winter would be best if you want to go to the woods and slaughter a bunch of big hardwoods.
I'd love to take you logging.

There's an invitation you ought to try hard to be able to accept, Adrian :).

I don't have any work for you, but if you get by NW Oregon, I'll see if I can arrange a ride-along day to show you around the Mt. Hood NF.

I can't promise any work, but if you make to this part of the country I'd love to go climb some big trees with you! Sounds like a fun way to learn a lot Adrian.

I don't do trees anymore, but I can show you around the state at altitude. ;)

If you find yourself down here visiting Brian, I'm sure I can get you some work, maybe not so much in climbing.

Thanks guys. I'm up for anything work wise, climbing, ground work, cleaning gutters, whatever to get some spare cash. I'm not picky.

And I'll definitely be taking you all up on some offers for rec climbing and stuff. Thats one thing I'm definitly doing if I'm on the west coast, is climbing some giant, awesome trees, and just seeing the sights.

And Stig, I'd love to take you up on that offer!! I'll see where I'm at come late fall/winter. By then I should be back home I'm hoping, or close to it. I'll see what my finances are like, and see where you are with things, because that is a great opportunity!!

Here's my thinking right now about this trip. Start off at Limbwalker's in Louisville, get a feel for working at another company, then head up to the MA area, and work my way down the coast to Florida, then west from there until I hit AZ/CA, head north from there to OR/WA, head back east from there to WI, and finally head south from there back to KY.

If mapquest puts you through mols on the way to Boise I could find a couple days general work ranching, I am sure we could cut some trees

Use my email if I am on your route, the pu thing Dave said sounds perfect.
Like said b4,oh to be young again

Thanks guys. I'm going to try and start a list tomorrow, maybe start taking down some contact info, setting up some rough dates and times to be places.

Back