Planning a road trip

Adrian, if you're serious about a passport... the earlier you start the process the better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Erik. How long does it generally take to get one?? If I start beginning of May, I'd have it by say November right?

Easily.

If you pay the expedite fee, you can have one in six weeks. I think it was running like 8-10, last year, if you went regular processing.

I got mine in four hours, but that was... an unusual case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
lol...sounds good. It wouldn't interfere with the trip any would it? Like I would have to be here for those 6 weeks. I'm thinking just fill out papers and stuff, and in x amount of weeks in arrives in the mail or whatever. Am I on the right track?

Nah, you don't need to stick around.

I wanna say they mail them out certified; but someone else would have to confirm that. I picked up my first passport after a phone call, and the second, I walked out with.

I can honestly say, that in the 12+ years when I hitchiked around the planet, I have never had a bad experience with a driver.

Whatever bad shit I encountered was always when i wasn't riding in cars.

I was of course propositioned by countless gay men, but coming from a culture where homosexuals (mostly) aren't vilified, that never bothered me any.

I cannot count the times someone have taken a detour, just to show this foreign guy, visiting their country, a nice place.

Like when Burnham took a day out to show me around Mt. Hood. I wasn't hitchhiking then, but it was the same generosity.

I always pick up hithhikers in Europe, I have a huge amount of payback to work on.

In the US I check them out, and if they look too scruffy, I pass them.
Not out of fear but because I find it impolite to stink another man's car up, just because you can't be bothered with keeping yourself clean.

Cool thread for sure. If you're here working for Mayer, plan on spending a day or two with me. I can't put you on the City payroll but I'm sure I can throw you a couple of bucks for the day. What I do is different than most of the tree people that I know but it is a lot of fun!

If you're here in the beginning of October you can sit for the MCA exam.

Back