Pinto pulleys

gumby25

TreeHouser
Ok, so is the bigger RIG pulley really much better than the smaller version??

I know that the bigger one has better efficiency and is bigger, but what do you guys think??

Mark,

I'm new to this whole thing myself, but here's what I know about the Pinto Rig Pulley.

The Pinto Rig Pulley is rated for about 11,000 pounds. 10% of that would be your working load limit (WLL). In other words, you'd be able to rig up a branch weighing about 1000 pounds using the Pinto Rigging Pulley. It is limited to 5/8" rope, however. You won't be able to use any rope larger than 5/8".

The much larger rigging blocks cost about 7 times more, but they accept much bigger rope. Unless you will need the strength of a 3/4" rigging rope, or larger, the Pinto Rig Pulley should handle most of your small to medium sized lowering projects.

Joel

I don't think you'd notice the difference in efficiency between a standard pinto and rig in that application. I've used both in a u-saver type setup and couldn't tell the difference.

Thanks for response Joel. I keep looking at them and really want one with a whoopie or loopie. I have the Standard Pinto which i use with a prussik when coming off long limb walks while working Srt. Also if I come down out the tree for lunch or a break I will use as a 2:1 advantage. Treestuff has the CMI stainless steel block which is like $105. I will purchase this when I get a job needing to block down some big wood. Thanks again

I love the pinto rig for light rigging. Hell, I'll admit, I've even used it too block some trees down. Nothing bigger than 16" for blocking down, but still, it's a tough little guy. Spliced mine onto a loopie

Rangerdanger,

I plan to use my Pinto rig pulley for blocking down some smaller trees, as well. Nothing over 12". I don't mind taking them down in smaller chunks, as it will all be used for firewood in the end.

I'm an old groundie. Back in those days, I preferred to have much bigger pieces to work with, as it made the ground work go a whole lot faster. Back in the early 80s, I never imagined that I would ever need to know how to rig a tree for dismantling. Now, some 30 years later, I'm beginning to take great interest in it, mainly out of a need to learn it. Funny how that works in life.

Joel

I have a Pinto RIG on a 'uSaver' type setup and its awesome. Adjustable, quick, easy to use. You can see it in this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9B5_J_5l4o

Its nice but I plan to remake it with stable braid in place of the 3 strand.

You really dont need any tools at all for tenex. Just order some some of the desired size, and 30-40' of whipping twine ($.03/foot). Coat hanger, roll of tape, needle, yard stick, sharpie.

Here is a video of me doing a somewhat 'complex' tenex splice... Most are easier than this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRkHJQNy1q8

Back