pine removal

Welcome Mike.
You are certainly in the right place for some big tree pictures.
I usually visit Arcata bout every two years. Whereabout in Humboldt are you from.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
0808121339b.jpg Haha sting I actually live in arcata! Man your avatars is amazing! Ive never had the privilege of climbing a tree that big before. But I have had some pretty big second growth hazard removals.

Wow, big one for sure.

I've made a couple of trips over to climb Sequoias and redwoods. The avatar shot is from 2 or 3 years ago when I last visited california.

Looks like you are hogging all the large diameter work!:lol:

Humboldt actually is full of large diameter trees. But yes when we get one its mine. Ive only gotten to climb one sequins but it was rather small. I grew up in yosemite where in the park is some of the tallest pines I would love to put my rope in.:D

Has anyone climbed with the zigzag? I use the blakehitch and would love to find something that won't be so hard on my ropes?

Welcome Mike. It is good to see someone working in the Arcata area. I spent decades there working in the big stuff. Keep the pics coming, they are great. I will try to post some myself when time and knowledge allows. Stay safe.

Mike do you use a separate cord for your friction hitch or do you use the end of your rope. A separate cord is da bomb for most climbers. Plenty of good hitch ideas at mytreelessons.com

I use the end of my rope but constantly change which end I use. Does the knot take all the wear? Your talking about a split tail?

Exactly. It's the way to go. Opens up a lot of different possibilities, both for production and safety, not to mention saving your climb line by putting all the wear on a short, replaceable cord instead of your rope. Many here can give greater detail on this but that is the big picture.

Ya ill try that. Ive used one before to climb large trees when my fliplines wouldn't go around the tree. I basically used it with my rope as the flipline. Thx cory

I didn't know split tails existed until I read Jeff Jepson's book. I was using a taut line at the end of my rope and having to untie each time I had to pass a limb. A split tail really opened up a new climbing world to me. With it I could simply disconnect at the saddle, bypass the limb and reattach without retying my hitch...big time savings. I eventually switched to an eye-eye hitch with slack tender pulley for even better efficiency.

Welcome Mike, Nice pics of some big wood!

i still use a Blake's & split-tail. just never felt comfortable with, or needful of, advancing further in climbing systems/hitches.

Well jomo I use stihl cause its dependable and ive seen one save my best freinds life. A nube cut his line on the ground, and when he came off the end of his line he fell 20 ft till his 200t lodged in a crotch and stopped him from falling further. That keyring on the back held his 200 pound lucky self. But they don't make them like they used to. Too many emissions in California.

I was only cappin on Stihl cuz they did away with manual oilers on their big saws.

Which is a real pita runnin long bars in deadwood.

The 084 was the last of a dying breed when it comes to on demand bar oil in copious amounts.

Work safe mate!

Jomo

Is it better to use a smaller diameter rope for your split tail or is it just preference?

Most prefer a smaller diameter rope/cord. You should buy some tenex, its strong, easy to work with, inexpensive. It doesn't like a long, fast rappel though, cuz it has a lower melting point than some other cords. It would be a great place to start though. I use tenex, it is supple. My climber uses ocean polyester 10mm, it is stiffer, he loves it.

A downside to all the newer techniques and gear is that the choices are nearly unlimited so it can be a bit mind boggling. Treestuff.com, which you can click on above, has everything at great prices and delivery

Most prefer a smaller diameter rope/cord. You should buy some tenex, its strong, easy to work with, inexpensive. It doesn't like a long, fast rappel though, cuz it has a lower melting point than some other cords. It would be a great place to start though. I use tenex, it is supple. My climber uses ocean polyester 10mm, it is stiffer, he loves it.

A downside to all the newer techniques and gear is that the choices are nearly unlimited so it can be a bit mind boggling. Treestuff.com, which you can click on above, has everything at great prices and delivery

I would differ in opinion. Tennex is a poor choice as the melting point is too low. There is a cordage similar - ice tail that has better properties & still performs in a similar way. Both get very hot during long descents though - ok if you like warm fingers

I kinda prefer heat resistant cordage myself..
My first split tail was the same size as my climb line, 1/2" blue streak ties in a blakes. Added a micro pully for easier tending.
Then I started playing with smaller cord and tending pulleys.. Different prussics and a VT became pretty standard once I got the feel. Then the Hitch Climber Pulley came along... Life was sweet for Ddrt.....

Humboldt actually is full of large diameter trees. But yes when we get one its mine. Ive only gotten to climb one sequins but it was rather small. I grew up in yosemite where in the park is some of the tallest pines I would love to put my rope in.:D

Nice pics Mike! and welcome

Heres my Sequoia top throwing from a week or so ago

Back