Plastic wedge “repair”

I'm just anti plastic. Especially when a high quality, beautiful, renewable, and many times free resource is readily available. Plastic is valuable, but it's overused and has become a scourge. I'm not even that old, and I remember when most things were not plastic. Life was pretty good. The sun came up every day, limbs didn't fall off, and cars didn't go flying off the road. It was just like today, except everyone wasn't full of microplastic, and you didn't see multticolored blobs blighting the landscape.

We need to limit our use of plastic. I started using pods to do laundry. Very little plastic and not shipping water in jugs. They work fine. Now I see laundry sheets are a thing. Tempted to try them but have not found the right one yet.

Lots of things that used to come in glass are now in plastic. Cheaper and lighter, but better? Food in cans usually have BPA coatings that are suspect. Hard to find a non-BPA label. Why can you get sauce and salsa in glass but not canned tomatoes? I would pay more to get things in glass.

We need to limit our use of plastic. I started using pods to do laundry. Very little plastic and not shipping water in jugs. They work fine. Now I see laundry sheets are a thing. Tempted to try them but have not found the right one yet.

Lots of things that used to come in glass are now in plastic. Cheaper and lighter, but better? Food in cans usually have BPA coatings that are suspect. Hard to find a non-BPA label. Why can you get sauce and salsa in glass but not canned tomatoes? I would pay more to get things in glass.
Look in the health nut section, specifically either vegan or keto. The "new" diets are very anal retentive. Also, thrive market, an online grocery subscription thing sells most anything you could want, but there's no cans, period.
Also also, small local business, boutique farms, etc are great places to get non-canned, canned stuff.

I have hardheads, but don't have enough experience with them to give a yea, or nay. They definitely feel like you're holding something when you pick them up.

[Lots of things that used to come in glass are now in plastic. Cheaper and lighter, but better? Food in cans usually have BPA coatings that are suspect. Hard to find a non-BPA label. Why can you get sauce and salsa in glass but not canned tomatoes? I would pay more to get things in glass.]
Not plastic wedges but to continue nonBPA thought, I grew tomatoes this year thinking I would can my own. Picked a bushel or two, some with bad spots, thinking you could cut them out. Peeled and cut them up and decided to look online for some guidance. Late blight caused my bad spots. Now I read don't use any blighted tomatoes to can or freeze. OK to use fresh but can promote some nasty food poisoning. Dammit.

Not plastic wedges but to continue nonBPA thought, I grew tomatoes this year thinking I would can my own. Picked a bushel or two, some with bad spots, thinking you could cut them out. Peeled and cut them up and decided to look online for some guidance. Late blight caused my bad spots. Now I read don't use any blighted tomatoes to can or freeze. OK to use fresh but can promote some nasty food poisoning. Dammit.
That really sucks. Guess you'll have to make spaghetti...

Doh, it's January, I'm sure yer maters is long gone.

Home canning is a huge PITA in my experience. I'm sure that's why so few folk do it.

Back