Picco 3/8LP round chisel cutter chain

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Somebody's been listening.

I know some of you guys will want to know about this. Stihl Picco 3/8LP round chisel chain. :D

This one is green tag with 3/8lp 050.

Best pics I got in few tries.

chiselchainLP 006.jpg chiselchainLP 004.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
chiselchainLP001.jpg

Looks like 63PMC3. I prefer the 63PM (now it's PMC) without the safety bumpers. And the cutters on Stihl 63PM have always been nice and long. It's the .325 stuff where they shortchange the cutter teeth.

Isnt PM semi chisel? PS is round chisel.

I took what I could get in my hands since it isnt in the dealers yet. You can get it without bumpers, but that wasnt offered to me today.

More digging, below is from stihl and a stihl dealer.

STIHL Inc. is proud to announce an additional saw chain for the professional arborist in a full-chisel cutter style. The 3/8" STIHL PICCO Super 3 is especially designed for use on the MS 200/201 and MS 200T/201T.

Users will benefit from these key product features:

15% more cutting performance than the STIHL 63 PMC and 33% more cutting performance than the Oregon 91VG
5% less feed force than STIHL 63 PMC and 26% less feed force than the Oregon 91VG
Low vibration
Smoother running

Chain does indeed have a safety hump near the raker. What he overlooked is the square chisel cutter and more importantly how the safety hump is designed. Look closely at it and you will notice its kinda long and it sets well below the cutter along the bar. In fact it sets at the cut off line on the raker meaning its plenty low. At the nose when the chain goes around that long pointed design pokes out and does it job to prevent kickback. Other than that the safety hump on that chain does nothing but go along for the ride. That chain will cut like crazy and have less kickback too boot.

Well they claimed at the meeting it was a long time coming but they finally have the chain the guys wanted mainly for the 200T. By looking at it I think its right nifty. I sell alot of plain 63PM chain for my 200T users. They too have always wanted a square chisel cutter so this may be right up their alley. The 63PM has no safety hump but its got a rounded corner cutter. That square chisel cutter should be abit quicker in the cut. I'll know in a few days

I've expounded about days in the past when Oregon made round chisel in skip and full in 1/4" which I ran on the s-25 Poulan .While this is not 1/4" my bet is it cuts as well as that old chain .

Although I'm a tight wad if this stuff hits the dealers I'll have some .You cannot believe the diff chisel makes over semi .

No doubt. And the chain selection for the 200 has been weak at best. The 'rounded' cutters I've always considered a safety chain of sorts and it sucks, actual safety rakers on a chain. No way.

Cool. A square chisel with no safety would be awesome on the 200.

That's what I think too. Always thought it was available but they didn't sell it in these parts. I get confused by numbers, could you advise again. The square chisel without the safety ramps is PS2? Thanks.

Al this is what we needed for the 0-40cc small saw racing in 8x8. Can you say square filed PS. Bet it would smoke the VX semi chisel and VXL I was using.

Well yes over the blocks if we had chisel we might have been able to outdo the 3 cubers or at least some of them .In the woods years ago with just a 2.3 cubic inch Poulan you can't imagine how much firewood I cut using little chisel chain .I'm glad they finally got the idea to make it in pico size .--about damned time ---

That chain hit the stores here about 3 months ago.

My dealer gave Anders a sample, and asked him to report back.

We all ran his t200 that day and after work, I went in and bought a couple of chains for my saw.
Dealer asked if that was Anders's report!

That is one fast cutting chain, without having actually timed it, I'd say 25% faster than the old Stihl chain I used on the t200.

I've put a new bar on my polesaw and fitted it with the same chain, used it for the first time today...............way fast!!

I should have mentioned it here, but things always semm to hit America first and then make it to Europe, so i figured you guys already ran it.

I think I still have some oregon 91vg? vxl, windsor ?? carlton ??, dont know if I have the pm3 stuff anymore and this new ps3 I could run them in a clean 8x8 on a 35cc poulan rear handle.

If someone has a new pmc 45dl or 56dl I could test it for a cut time and send it back. If anyone was interested in knowing.

I may do it for myself just to see when I get caught up.

I just happened upon this thread. Very interesting Kevin. I wonder how long Oregon will introduce a chain to match, won't be long I can guarantee you that.

I find the .325 chisel on my MS200 and 338XPT makes a big difference over the 3/8 LO PRO semi chisel for cutting speed especially when the cutters are filed down halfways or more.
I'll have to try some of this chain out but I already got rid of my old Picco and 91 chain and like to only have 2 rolls of chain to mess with .... .325 and 3/8 regular.

Willard.

I got a loop of that the other day, I still have yet to try it out. Im glad to hear that it is quicker! Should be interesting on the 201T.

I just happened upon this thread. Very interesting Kevin. I wonder how long Oregon will introduce a chain to match, won't be long I can guarantee you that.

Willard.
More than likely not long at all .Maybe without the ramped anti kick backs too .

I wonder though unless you were boring with the saw would those ramps slow you much ? Then too just how much boring would a person do with a trim saw anyway ?

I wonder though unless you were boring with the saw would those ramps slow you much ? Then too just how much boring would a person do with a trim saw anyway ?
The ramps do get in the way when boring. I do quite abit of boring with my trim saws up in the tree. When topping a tree I like to cut the facecut, then bore the backcut out, leave a strap of wood to prevent the top going over, put the saw away on the saddle biner, then cut the strap with the handsaw.

Easier to hang on for the ride with a handsaw in your hand rather then a chainsaw.:D

Willard.

Back