Perkins Diesels

I love diesels.

Cat 140hp (perkins?) in chipper has been trouble free except for a brief puter glitch a couple years ago. 3k hours now. JDs in earlier chippers were great. Got a new cummins in the bucket, real good so far. got a workhorse cat in chip truck, goin strong, starts well in the cold. Kubota is bullet proof.

Maybe its easier to keep track of bad diesels.

John Deere or kubota and you will never go wrong. I know of trouble with smaller cummins, smaller Perkins, and avoid the BF3L2011 3 cylinder deutz. I have one and it's junk

So many opinions.......I'd say it comes down to the maintenance mostly and dealer support. Do your research on the model of the motor, that will give you info on whether that is a good unit or not. Our Morbark dealer is also a Komatsu dealer (CAT's biggest competition in equipment), so CAT puts them the backburner when any warranty work is needed on a piece of equipment with a CAT motor. They prefer Cummins. Say John Deere's are good.

We have a 188hp perkins in a 2400xl, that chipper has to have over 6k hours. Been rebuilt once, been a great motor. Had a 94" Morbark 17 with a perkins, countless hours, rebuilt that motor at least a couple times. Still ran great till the drum cracked. I'd feel comfortable with a perkins. Biggest knock on CAT is how much parts cost.

I have a 3.9 cummins in my 250xp, runs good, but my headgasket is leaking, a very common problem.

Back