Ok so why is this forum better than arborist site ?

• Thread starter itsmyblood
  • Start date
  • Replies 234
  • Views 40K
I

itsmyblood

Time to defend your self ! Just curious as i am new too both.
I must say though you guys do seem friendlier. Not that i'v been harassed but have seen others posts go bad quickly.

Hang out at both for awhile and see where you wanna stay. Heck, a few guys still hang at both

First off....
the owner of this site is an arborist with real working field experience, who started the forum for other arborists with real working field experience.

the owner of AS is a roofer, who started his forum to make money.

Where would you rather hang? A forum made for the people, or a forum made for the profit?

Time to defend your self ! Just curious as i am new too both.
I must say though you guys do seem friendlier. Not that i'v been harassed but have seen others posts go bad quickly.

Seriously? You expect us to be friendly after a post like that? What makes you think we would be even remotely interested in defending ourselves? If that's the level of your thinking, I'd stay at Arboristsite, or any of the other Tree Forums out there. Anywhere but here.

Different management styles. Darin's goal is to get as many page views as possible so he can sell more advertising and make more money. He cares nothing about the members unless they are a perceived threat to his income stream. Controversy is encouraged and even created by his moderators when things get too quiet, controversy creates more page views.

This forum has never and will never be aimed at churning out profits. It is a gathering place for people to hang out and enjoy each other's company. We don't have a team of moderators to rule over the forum members like schoolmarms watching over hyperactive children, we are adults and treat each other with respect. When somebody tries to stir trouble then the group as a whole rejects that behavior because we don't care for it. Butch filters out the spammers and occasional troll but he doesn't treat us like children. We're not here for the drama.

That's because it has Critical Mass, like this place. Once you achieve that, it's just about impossible for it to fail.

I'm truly amazed AS even still exists.

Well we sure wouldn't want most of those kids running around here, getting underfoot and tearing up everything they touch. :what:
I'm glad they are there. We don't all like the same things and we don't all need to participate in the same forums. People will migrate to the places where they are most comfortable.

I'm glad they are there.

I dunno, new blood's always nice and besides - I think the forum makes the poster, not the other way around. Someone might behave in one forum completely differently in another if only because of the vibe/moderation at that forum.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well wasn't looking to stair up stuff. I love my job love looking at gear and talking about it and watching video's. Been in it for 15 years i'm 32 and it still feels like year 1 the enthusiasm i mean. So far i do like this site more though i will continue to view both for now.

Better? An interesting thing occurs when anyone or any group stops worrying about being better than others and simply concentrates on doing his/her/their best. A perception begins to grow both within and with outside observers that those striving for excellence are among the very best. The treehouse tends to work well because good guys can be themselves and encourage mutual excellence.(Or, occasionally, decadence)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Better? An interesting thing occurs when anyone or any group stops worrying about being better than others and simply concentrates on doing his/her/their best. A perception begins to grow both within and with outside observers that those striving for excellence are among the very best. The treehouse tends to work well because good guys can be themselves and encourage mutual excellence.(Or, occasionally, decadence)

Well spoken .

Excellent point, Justin.

And let's not forget about Treebuzz and the role they fill in the online spectrum. I find TB to be geared more toward the trainer/student mentality as well as the climbing competition folks. We have many members here who participate there as well. Some of them might be able to give more specifics on the types of content there versus here.

Mutual respect, and expert opinions without the cockiness. The attitude is more "this is how I do it," rather than "this is how you should do it." I don't get the feeling anyone has to prove anything or defend something.

Also, I like the joking around. Fun for me.

The internet is self selecting. I used to post on AS and the Tree Buzz, now I just pos(t) here. Its where I feel most comfortable.

I had already posted why I like it here before this thread. re-posted below. ;)

Welcome and enjoy the REAL good people here, without all the drama and the swelled heads and ego's of some on the other sites
ngonghinh74.gif
liar.gif

I really have enjoyed conversing and learning from these guys.

I quit AS and Gardenweb (?) (the one with The Toolshed) because of the ridiculous censored rulings. It's no fun to have a 'discussion' if it's pretty much scripted. I guess there is some censorship here, but just basic commonsense type...like offline real life. Although there aren't many females here, I don't feel I have to hide the fact that I'm female to get respect.

There are some very good people here. Actually, there are many on AS too, but too many that are not. More of a WYSIWYG type population.

Back