O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Nice. I was going to buy a new splitter because my mini mounted one went with the mini with the sale of the business. But my local rental place talked me out of it. $50/day and if I rent it in the Saturday of a long weekend I can keep it until Tuesday morning. Essentially three days for $50. Hard to go wrong.

That's the truth, better value for the homeowner/firewooder.

All the same, my old splitting maul (and my old body) still takes care of business so far :).

Same here.
30 cubic meters of hardwood, year after year.
I split everything by hand, but have a system modeled on the California penal code: 3 strikes and you are out.
If I have whaked a chunk 3 times with no effect, it goes in the pile for the hydrulic 30 ton splitter.
Last year it was less then 3 cubic meters. the rest was taken care of by my old, inherited maul.
Paul Plewa, the guy who gave it to me and honed me into a fast faller, died last sunday.
Good thing. He was in bad shape, and after being forced to quit the old homestead and move to town, his life really sucked. Last summer he told me that getting old was really over rated.Dementia was getting the better of him, too, so I was glad to hear that he is gone.
For some obscure reason the family decided to have a church burial for him, so I didn't attend.
I felt that was really disregarding his own wishes. Paul was the son of Polish immigrants. When he was 13 the local catholic minister showed up and tried to browbeat his mom into having him confirmed in the church. Paul threatened to whip the guys ass, if he didn't go away and leave his mom alone.
At age 13!!!!!!
So I felt that the best way for me to honor him was to do what he taught me so well, so I worked a bit harder than usual and thought of him.
Best logger by far, that I have ever come across, and I've known a few.

Really sorry to hear that Sig. We buried my father in law the other week. He, despite being a fellow atheist & critic of the religious world had a church funeral. That was for his wife, who is a regular church goer & it helped her deal with it immensely as she was comforted by her faith.

Stig, Hard watching old Trade workers fade from age.

Had to lay down some law with my Dad a few weeks ago about ladders, trees, and him not being up them. Had to threaten to tell his daughter/my sis what he was up too. :O

remember though funerals are for the people who are left behind. It helps.

I have also passed on attending a few funerals when the family went 100% the wrong way from the person I knew.

3d968dbc9f6665ee87349823d8fc0129.jpg

New everything truck to replace the dinky ranger

If you'd squatted to take that pic, Willie, it would look like you were hauling that awesome top-job in the back for advertising! :P

Back