O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

It is used. I have to give a big thanks to you Adrian for pointing me in the right direction in the beginning of my search. That was huge. I know what I would have ended up buying if I didn't talk to you, and I wouldn't have been happy.

Good catch on the boom too. It was only up because we were cleaning up the disposal site and repositioning the truck over and over. It is going to be really easy to accidentally forget about the seat and the boom over time though.

When you get out to dump, put something visually obstructive on the day, or through the steering wheel, a la a wigwag that is on some dump trucks. On my Southco box, I had a door with a worn latch, so it was safer to drive with the door pinned with the security rod. When that rod came out, it went through the steering wheel, until I could get a new latch.

A micro switch for the seat/boom to an idiot light on the dash may be worth investing in.
That's what i have been thinking about. If someone forgets to put the seat down the height of the truck is 13'10'', which is over the legal limit and bound to hit something.

Why were they selling such a mint rig?

I'm guessing it came from Russel? Or TCI?

Thats good stuff.

Although still wonder why they sold it. I'm guessing it's not very high miles. Maybe they want a bigger one, though that one is pdb.

Eric has the design dialed in. Part of it is fleet rotation, part is a second business he may get into. He set up two new trucks so far this year for his own fleet. He's sold 2 or 3 I believe.

Fred's truck was repainted to Fred's desires with the updated bed installed.

Yep, Fleet rotation. TCI has a good number of grapples. He buys and sells a few every year. It's easy to tell Eric's trucks apart from all the rest.

The seat isn't a huge deal. Just gotta have a watchful eye, once you operate it for A bit, it becomes second nature to be sure it's put down. The boom is what you gotta watch out for, as it's tough sometimes when you really stuff the truck full to have enough room for the grapple and boom to lay down enough to be below the top bed rail. The key is keeping a little open space up front for the grapple head to sit in, so when you're loading the truck you gotta keep that in mind.

I have Cory, worked with them a number of months last year. I'll spend a good chunk of this year as well working with them. They are the way to do tree work IMO, chippers are obsolete as far as I'm concerned

As long as one small detail exists where you work, free brush dumping.

Chipping is producing a product to many. I get paid to dump a load once in a while, but prefer to use it myself. No one that I know of around here has use for unprocessed brush.

In Europe green waste disposal is a big issue, chippers are an absolute must, some Irish tree workers I've spoken to told me there are no bonfires at all anywhere, ever.

Chipping is producing a product to many. I get paid to dump a load once in a while, but prefer to use it myself. No one that I know of around here has use for unprocessed brush.

I get paid or traded goods for chips. Grapple trucks are nice. Yesterday was a defective birch reduction. I got paid for material and labor to have my employee mulch the landscape beds at a repeat customer's house. Chips in the morning, then the trailer carried a couple hundred pounds of brush. It seems both are quite useful. I wish there was a biomass operation close by.

I also use it myself.
I chip on site a good amount. Part of it is the salesperson talking about the benefits of mulch, and turf competition, during the sales call. When they ask, I point to a study done (presented at ISA, biased?) showing the better qualities of branch chip mulch versus ground bark mulch (weed suppression. Not compacting into a mat resulting in better air to soil due to the coarser and mixed sized nature which pretty much within reason can't be piled too deeply if uncompacted).

Customer: "What should I use?"
Me: "you can use ground bark at $20/ yard, or better, use whole tree parts for nutrient cycling, wood, bark, and foliage. Its already here, waiting to be chipped, up there in those limbs you want pruned."

My limb/wood dumps are about 20 miles round trip, on average. What about you guys?

Back