O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

There are certain situations that come to mind where I would rather have a chainsaw than a hand saw while pruning, such as deadwood pruning in Oaks. Essentially I am of the same mindset though, less is more while pruning and I don't like dragging around a chainsaw if I don't have to. The older I get though, the more I would rather have exactly the right tool when needed. Efficiency is more important to me than price, as efficency will pay the right tool off in due time.

You really need a handsaw. How do you trim trees when it comes to the small stuff? At the worst, you wear yourself out using your chainsaw: at the least, you use up your fuel too quickly. I don't know about you, but I hate passing my saw to the ground for a refuel, then hauling it back up again. :drink:

There are certain situations that come to mind where I would rather have a chainsaw than a hand saw while pruning, such as deadwood pruning in Oaks. Essentially I am of the same mindset though, less is more while pruning and I don't like dragging around a chainsaw if I don't have to. The older I get though, the more I would rather have exactly the right tool when needed. Efficiency is more important to me than price, as efficency will pay the right tool off in due time.

Well said!

I think of having a handsaw on hand as being PPE, sorta. Sorta like how I've been told an ax and wedges are part of a sawyer's ppe in the USFS (B, is this true?).

It would make sense. Saw fails during dicey cut. Pull it out of the kerf and finish with handsaw before the piece goes astray.

I'll be the first to admit I've been too "aggressive" undercutting a limb and got my chainsaw
stuck solid, then had to rescue it with my handsaw, not necessarily a dicey cut but add in some
wind and you probably wanna finish the cut asap..... ;)
Also, I've often started a cut with the chainsaw and finished it with the handsaw 'cause I know
I'm goin for a ride, can't get good position/balance, etc, .....just to be safe.

I'll be the first to admit I've been too "aggressive" undercutting a limb and got my chainsaw
stuck solid, then had to rescue it with my handsaw, not necessarily a dicey cut but add in some
Also, I've often started a cut with the chainsaw and finished it with the handsaw 'cause I know
I'm goin for a ride, can't get good position/balance, etc, .....just to be safe.

I've done some of the same...handsaw has helped me correct some errors of judgement before, too.

This summer in Bermuda I did most of my work with two different sized handsaws (zubat/sugoi) and secateurs and the fiskars pole pruner...the 200 got a vacation until I had to go casuarina culling.
I HATE dragging a 200 around a tree, if I only need it occasionaly it gets clipped off somewhere handy, and I go get it if I need it.
Many times up in the little tops I use the handsaw because its just too close confines for comfort, and a 200 would be overkill!

I have had that happen but it was the limbs fault....

Back