New Tribe Traveling ONYX

Ohio is definitely between VA and California... :lol:

It is sad, there are only so many Big Green approved saddles, the Onyx isnt one... I have my work saddle, and three more at home, how many do I need??

The only saddle I am considering buying is the New Tribe soft dee, soft center... TreeFox I think? I like thats its small and quiet for woods hiking.

Nick Bonner, I have a treefox you can borrow if you want to try it. You can't keep it as long as the SJ though. ;)

Thanks for the offer Adam. I dont think I need to borrow it. Its just something I have looked at for a while... Do you like it?

Nick Araya, Its a soft saddle. No metal dees or connection points.
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=325&item=2137
SDLTF.jpg

I'm familiar with the harness, but I think the central connection point is a screw link with chafe guard over it as a silencer.

Look into it to verify before you commit to purchase.

love
nick

Got the demo today:D Cannt wait to use it tomorrow, wish I had it today as I was swinging off a crane ball all day. Ill get it headed to Steven next Weds. Thanks for letting me give it a whirl as I really feel I need to get another saddle as my current Sequoia is 8 years old..... Still looks OK but Im thinking maybe I should get something else, mind you that saddle is going to be hard to beat.

I got my demo today but I'm off til monday. I'll hang around on it before then if I can make myself get out in that heat.

OK so been playing with the one I have and have noticed that a piece is missing I believe. Not a big deal but thought I would mention it. In the pictures you can see on one side there is a black metal webbing adjuster locating the leg loops to the "paw" but there isnt one on the other side. Just thought Id point it out... 1.jpg

Strange the picture uploader won't let me post the sec on pic

OK so looked in the bag and found extra webbing adjusters:|: and much to my joy a really nice heavy duty webbing bridge which I promptly installed with a steel ring:D

First impressions are this is more comfy than my well worn in Sequoia. Looking forward to climbing with it.

I had been toying around and comparing not having that adjuster on there. Sorry about that. I should've put it back in before I sent it out.

love
nick

Why are there two ropes for the bridge? One is skinner than the other..

edit - no, they're the same size, just different ropes.

Nick said they are ust two options. Nothing special about either, just different.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Well, damn - it seems like the leg pads are backwards or reversed. Isn't the smooth part supposed to be against your leg and the stitched webbing side to the outside? Cuz it isn't...

Do the pads come unattached and require assembly?

The smooth part was against my legs. Could they have gotten flipped during packing / shipping

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the offer Adam. I dont think I need to borrow it. Its just something I have looked at for a while... Do you like it?

I like it but don't love it. It's awesome because I can keep it under a seat in my own truck. If it somehow had a rope/webbing bridge on it I'd looove it.

OK so rained out Fri so today was my first day with it, hot as all get out today so we only did a few trims. Initial thoughts as riding up on the Wraptor was WOW I friekin love this thing!! When hanging in the saddle the leg pads are just awesome at distributing the load=super comfy. Obviously I missed my custom saw snap on my right hip but did have a good spot for a biner to hang the saw on and if this were my harness I would sew one on before going to work. I spent about an hour, maybe less over the weekend changing out the bridge and getting it set up. Im sure I could do some more fine tuning but as said it felt awesome anyways. When I started to work the tree I noticed that when lanyarded in it didnt feel great on my boney ass hips , not much padding on that spot, I would suggest more padding but Im sure every climber likes different stuff. It became obvious that you need to wear some kind of sling/suspenders as the saw pulls the belt down in short order, luckily I have been using a New TRibe sling anyways so put it on and solved that issue.

Would love to do a big honking Wreck with this thing to give it a true test drive but in the middle of this heat wave dont know if thats going to happen..........

Bottom line "Good job New Tribe!! excellent saddle!!" Funny thing is I was going to try to come up with a saddle that was a mix between a Sequoia and a NT with the triangle pads, dont need to bother now. Only disapointment is the price, somebody needs to stem the ever increasing prices of these things.

Back