New Tribe Traveling ONYX

I bet you could finnagle that blue paw onto the front of this harness somehow. Maybe leg straps and the connector from the d-ring both go into the giant ring of the paw...no bow shackle? I'm not sure if that'd work.

Nice video, Gary. I wonder what the homeowners were thinking when you started to come down upside down. :)

That kid seemed interested in what you were doing. Future climber maybe?

More adventures with the Onyx today. It seems to conjure up animal tales...two days ago it was a cat. Today it was a snake.

I went to the neighbor of my son to remove a dead pine spar that the neighbor finally decided needed to come down. While setting up for the removal I got tasked to check my son's water meter...removed the lid and found a two foot garter snake. My son and grandsons showed up and we did the first removal...getting the snake out of the water meter box. :D That took about 5:55 minutes.

The actual treework starts at 5:55 in case you aren't up for the snake drama.

I set my TIP in a nearby tree...used the lanyard until time for the back cut. I disconnected the lanyard for that cut in case the spar failed and dumped everything.

I like the side D's on the Onyx...the leg straps are attached to the D's and the pressure of one's weight on the leg pads keeps the D's facing forward. Any other saddles I have had it was hit or miss whether the D's were frontwards or backwards.

The Onyx handled the weight of the 200T just fine. I had to cinch up a little tighter on the waist belt to accommodate the weight.

I haven't used it with spurs yet...nothing looming for spur work right now but shouldn't be too long.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9q8ySv5AEyg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Adam, you are right...the kid in the cat video payed close attention and hung around during the cat doings...you never know how something unusual like a tree climber showing up to do something strange might effect a young one.

Butch, PM me your address and I will send the L/XL off to you.

Both my partner and I had a chance to climb in the Onyx last week. I really liked it and so did my partner. He has never liked NT saddles much so it was a surprise for me to hear his good reviews. In fact, I think he liked it more than I did. He climbed some Lombardi Poplars, both in spikes and without. I climbed an Oak tree without spikes. My partners only complaint was the price. He just thought that it was not worth the money. I said he would rather get another Spartan from Wesspur.

We both liked how light it was and the over all quality. The ISC buckles were nice and I really liked how adjustable it is. My partner is about 70 pounds lighter than me and we were both able to make the saddle fit like a glove. That webbing that runs along the top of the leg pads seems to add a lot in terms of comfort.... not sure why, but it does. At first I thought the side d's were too far back, but I get used to that quickly.

My 3 complaints are the lack of a saw snap on the belt, the leg pads were not nearly as comfortable as my other NT saddles, and I thought the ring on the bridge was too big. The ring thing would be very easy to fix. I think if I were to buy an Onyx, I would see if they could make mine with the thicker leg pads and I am sure they could easily add a saw snap to the belt.

I had several times during my climb that I was forced to hang in mid air to complete some work and my legs stated to hurt almost immediately. That has never happened to me with my Tengu or my Nikosi.

One thing that was a nice surprise was how the saddle handled a large saw. I had to used a Stihl 660 in the tree and the saddle stayed put and supported the weight easily.

Over all, I thought the Onyx was a very nice saddle but I think I still prefer my Nikosi. If I had to my a new saddle today, it would be a difficult choice..... I am not sure which NT I would get. Probably another Nikosi.

Nice review. I so..... Enjoyed the Nikoski but didn't make the plunge.
I know I need to with the HH. Emr can you elaborate more on the leg pad experience and differences?

Butch I hope you enjoy flying this one!

Gary, do you know whos in line next for the SM one. I am about to buy an Ergo but would love to try this saddle out before I take the plunge....

Nice review. I so..... Enjoyed the Nikoski but didn't make the plunge.
I know I need to with the HH. Emr can you elaborate more on the leg pad experience and differences?

Butch I hope you enjoy flying this one!

When I was climbing around the canopy, the leg pads were great. They gave good support and stayed in place. I didn't even notice they were there. However, when hanging mid air, they almost seemed to cut into my legs. My other 2 New Tribe saddles never did that and I have to assume it's due to the difference in construction. The Onyx leg pads are mostly that webbing criss cross construction but my Nikosi and Tengu have much more padding.

For 95% of my climb it was no problem, but that 5% sucked.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I think Stephen in Cali (Cursedvoyce) is next...chime in here, Stephen.

I got two initial climbs in and then the rain has been non-stop here. It finally did not rain today. I was holding out for another climb to get more experience with the rope bridge but don't really need to...I'll be glad to ship it on to whoever is to get it next.

I agree with EMR on the leg pads on the Onyx..they are a bit skimpy compared to my New Tribe Pro model. I remember thinking on my first climb how I was much more aware of pressure from the leg pads of the Onyx. I rarely notice the leg pads of the Pro model.

Y'all let me know where to send this saddle.

One other good thing...it fits into a little box...really compresses/packs down well. It will be a good one for packing in somewhere.

I just did...sent you a reply.

I am sending the Onyx to Paul..he will use and then route to Stephen.

VA is kind of on the way to Cali. :)

I just dropped the Onyx off at the PO...I insured it for $500 (after I called Nick to get his input).

It is supposed to arrive in Earlysville, VA on the 11th.

Have fun, Paul. Stephen, you should be after that.

My wife was supposed to drop the L/XL off at the post office today for you Butch. I also told her to insure it for $500. Not sure of the delivery date......

Stephen, whats with the reference to Oshkosh? Is there a story with that? I imagine that not too many people know where that is. Its only about 10 min south of where I live and my wife is a teacher there.

Back