New Tribe Traveling ONYX

I bought one and after dialing it in I'm glad I did. I found I needed to let the back out quite a bit and that cured any nut crush!

I'm flying the small/ medium Onyx now. I had the nut crunch on leaning stuff, but have been dialing it in. I think I'd like the rigging plates instead of the clevises, but haven't changed it out to try that. I don't like clipping into the clevises and having my connector biner/ snap on the webbing bridge, at times. Been running a long rope lanyard instead of a flip line for a lot of the climbing lately.

So every one that's tried it likes it, after dialing it in?

About to throw..!
Launch this Damm phone!..!!

I've had a the the pro model since 05 I believe.
Never would have believed it to be as durable as its been
This model does slide around a bit. I got use to it after ater a bit. I'm thinking hard about buying one these.

I love New Tribe, Don't get me wrong, I have bought about 5 saddles from them.

You're probably right, in that I didn't fiddle around with it much.

Bless me father for I have sinned. I have bogarted the smaller Onyx. Who is next?

I would say that there is way too much black stuff to clip into. D's should be silver, right next to the black caritool, and black gear loops.

The sliding adjuster buckles continuously slip over the course of a day.

Generally comfy, but not so much when twisted all the way around to one side. Nut squish a bit.

I don't think that the butt sling/ leg loop displaces my 200#, geared up, more than a wide pad, like on the ErgoLite. I wish it did.

I don't like that the bridge tails conflict with the space for clipping into the rigging plates. I have to search a bit too much, or push the tail out of the way. Maybe changing the bridge to the center/ farthest-out rigging plate hole, and the TIP to the 'side' clip-in hole might help.

Who's up?

I put velcro on my waist adjuster. It never slips now.

I agree 100% about there being too much black. But it IS called the Onyx, after all! The camo under the radar look is big in New Tribe world. I've always joking with them to have more color added all over the place!

Have I posted the pic of my custom orange and black onyx? It's so sexy!

Camo is good for rec climbing.

Camo is not good for work climbing, IMO. Post up that orange and black.

If the small is still making its rounds I'd love to check it out, I just stumbled upon this thread and have only made it though half of the 34 pages, so I have no idea how long the wait list is. .
I am looking at a new harness and am intrigued by the onyx, and was hoping to find a local store that would let me hang in one before i bought it, but I wanted to buy from treestuff and as my luck usually works out this thread popped up!

Nick, I found the pic earlier in the thread, I like the color scheme on yours, it looks very nice.

With my infrequent part time tree work schedule I have finally gotten enough air time in the onyx to reach my conclusion, which probably took me way too long, but no one seems to be waiting for it so I didn't feel there was a rush. I really really want to love this saddle, I was about to order one before I found this loaner because I was so sure I would love it, but I cannot as it kills my hips. I'm 5'11" and 140lbs (very skinny and bony) so I have no natural padding anywhere. Everything else about this harness is a home, I love the gear loops placements, options for other gear loops and caritool or carabiner positions, and the rope bridge and rigging plates. My only issue, which is a deal breaker, is my bony hips.
So its ready to head out of my gear pile, where to?

I bet you need a New Tribe Pro model...the "Ness".

I am same size as you...5'10', 145 lb...New Tribe works very well for me.

I just came back from my local saw shop (25 min away), he set me up with a weaver saddle that has rope bridge, rigging plates, and a ridged "seat". I think that bit may be called a Bosun's seat or something like that. Anyway, It seems very comfy and has the features I wanted. I did not expect much from it and I was pleasantly surprised by it. At about $350 out the door with tons of gear attachment points it saved me a little money and should last for a while, by which point I hope to have attended a trade show or 2 and next year's JAMBO, therefore being able to check out the other high end saddles in person.
For now, I am a comfy tree climber. I will keep an eye out for the Ness, I don't think I am familiar with that one.

I could never get the NT saddle Stumper gave me to work for me. I always felt like I was gonna fall backwards out of it no matter how I adjusted it.

That's how I felt in the first saddle the local shop had me try, weaver floating D I think. Always felt like it wanted to be upside down.

Back