New to rope climbing gear suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well guys I got the unicender, micro frog ascending set up and a tree motion saddle on the way. This last week has been a steep learning curve not having anyone showing me the ropes(pun intended). But man ropes are soo much easier to work with. So much time savings on even the little things like coming down the tree! Thanks for all the wonderful comments.

Great, keep at it, plenty of videos here for reference too, you checked out the 'beginners climbing tips' thread yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I did, almost and unlimited amount of information on this forum. It's nice to be able to find most of the answers to your questions in one spot. But I do have another question... The unicender, I can barely get it to ascend at times. At first I had it in place of a chest ascender because I liked it close to my body while working. So the neck lanyard I rigged was rubbing me pretty bad with that much pressure. So I put the croll back to use and rigged up a foot sling and tried it as a hand ascender. But at times it'll stick so bad I have to stop, regroup and go at it again. I'm climbing on 13mm arbor master, would it be greatly beneficial to try it on some 11mm? Is that the answer or should I just scrap it and go to another ascender that's not midline attachable? Zig zag or spider jack?

I searched this forum for "Beginners Climbing Tips", and the only result was this thread. A direct link would make me happy. Looking forward to learning. Thanks

I did, almost and unlimited amount of information on this forum. It's nice to be able to find most of the answers to your questions in one spot. But I do have another question... The unicender, I can barely get it to ascend at times. At first I had it in place of a chest ascender because I liked it close to my body while working. So the neck lanyard I rigged was rubbing me pretty bad with that much pressure. So I put the croll back to use and rigged up a foot sling and tried it as a hand ascender. But at times it'll stick so bad I have to stop, regroup and go at it again. I'm climbing on 13mm arbor master, would it be greatly beneficial to try it on some 11mm? Is that the answer or should I just scrap it and go to another ascender that's not midline attachable? Zig zag or spider jack?
Put up some pics of your setup if you can. I find visual aids to be best. I have only taught a hand full of people but I think learning the basics(blakes hitch with the tail of your rope) is a pre requisite to all the fancy stuff.

Thanks for the link and also for welcoming me. I'm in Oregon. I don't do tree work, just enjoy rec climbing. Got the passion when I did a day climb with Pacific Tree Climbing Institute. I immediately got TreeMan's DVD and a bunch of gear. So I started learning with Ddrt w B-53, and just recently started trying RADS. Lookin' forward to hangin' out & learning.

I sit at computer all day....web development. A bit more low risk than making a living in trees, but a bit less exciting. I bet most of you guys find each day a fun adventure, not like, 'crap, gotta work today'.

Pull up a chair and make yourself comfy Heg, there's some good folks here with a wealth of knowledge and they love to share it. Ya never know, you might one day be trading your Apple in on a Stihl or a Husky.

Make sure you get some exercise in! Every day!

Have you ever thought about something like this?

haha yeah, I don't know....I just sit on an exercise ball and move around, which I'm hoping is at least better than a typical chair.

Pull up a chair and make yourself comfy Heg, there's some good folks here with a wealth of knowledge and they love to share it. Ya never know, you might one day be trading your Apple in on a Stihl or a Husky.

Thanks Limbrat! Yeah I do got a question or two, but I will start a new thread so I don't derail Silverbackarb's thread.

Ha, don't worry about the derail, we are the acknowledged masters of the derail here...eventually it gets back on track, but fun in the meantime :)

Ha, don't worry about the derail, we are the acknowledged masters of the derail here...eventually it gets back on track, but fun in the meantime :)

Cool! Seems pretty laid back here... I like this place.

Back