New to rope climbing gear suggestions?

Silverbackarb

TreeHouser
Hey guys! Name is TJ. Been climbing spurs for a while but as progressing my climbing and growing needs for business, I need to start building my roping equipment. I think I'm going to go with a tree motion saddle but past that I'm up in the air on everything else. Any help?

Most of the work will be in very large spreading trees or smaller yard trees.

I was looking at a Petzl ZigZag and maybe a microfrog set up then build from there.

Thanks in advance!

Hey there.
Have you been climbing spurs with a top rope or just a lanyard/waist attachment?

I would tend to start with a friction hitch setup, then move to the completely mechanical devices later once you are more familiar and comfortable with climbing only on rope, branch walking etc.

Take the time to do some searches here and read our threads, there is one called 'Beginners Climbing Tips', that has loads of information for anyone either beginning or progressing their skills to different techniques and equipment.

Cheers!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've just been climbing with a flip line. Just used friction hitches on smaller rope lanyards for
Position purposes

Hitch Hiker, and a Ropewalker set-up, some BlueMoon or something in the Poison Ivy family. About $500-$650 (I'd guess) to a deluxe set-up. Treestuff.com (The TreeHouse sponsor) has a link on the TH page to use to get to TreeStuff. Forum discount available. I use a cheap base-tie system for SRT that costs about $30, and is simple and multi-functional. You will want, at the least, a tube style friction saver for Doubled Rope Technique DdRT or a ring and ring friction saver.

Order the HH through Ropetekwraptor.com directly.

yeah, this is how it starts, and the next thing you know you own the whole catalog! haha, welcome to the board.

I'd say you ought to look at a simple DBRT setup along the lines of the HitchClimber pulley, something with a sleeve style friction saver, get used to working a hitch, and then go from there.

Good luck! Bermy is right, there are a few threads that will delve into more specifics.

Last edited:
...seems a start like True Blue w / knots first...when moving to mechanicals and eventually SRT any of the popular reduced diameter lines are worth it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the replies guys! I'll definitely be looking into the other threads. I would like to mention i think SRT suits my needs best as I generally have just my fiancé(105 pounds soaking wet) as a helper. So I'm always up and down a lot

Welcome T J. Lots of knowledge and wisdom here, you've come to the right place. There are threads here on everything you need to know, and if you don't see it, don't hesitate to ask, these folks love to help. Where in the world are you?

Yeah mate, we actually WANT to help!

DdRT - Doubled Rope Technique...works fine for up and down too if you use a pantin on your tail and maybe a handled ascender...SRT carries a few more initial risks, like working VERY close to your secured down line, which if you are somewhat unfamiliar with working off a rope could be a bit of a liability this early in the game. I moved to SRT from DdRT about six months ago, while I love it, the working close to the down line takes some extra brain cells along with all the other stuff you have to think about.

The Hitch Climber (HC) pulley with an eye to eye friction hitch is very good, get used to it then move on to SRT....OR buy a Hitch Hiker(HH) and use it double rope initially then move it to SRT...one piece of gear instead of two.

Laying a foundation of tried and true techniques and gear will serve you well as you progress to more of the technical stuff, always something to fall back on if the tree doesn't suit SRT that day.

I don't really agree with the down strand argument. In both cases, DdRT adn SRT, DON'T cut you lifeline. Either strand, anyplace.

Don't use a base tie for a SRT or DdRT system that can be severed by logs being dropped and bouncing into the base of the tree.

Sean, would you mind going into a little more detail about the right way to handle the base tie, or not base tying when working SRT in the tree when you get time. For those of us less experienced with rope work. Thanks.
Pat

...I agree with Bermy...double rope you really only mind the lines at one angle and location, it is a bit more to mind the suspension line and anchor line ...two sets of angles and locations , quite often I clip and move the piece of anchor close to a cut, pull it back towards me or another branch use a sling to hold it ...

That's what I mean, precisely! ^^^

All the years double rope, I always made sure my lines were visible and out of the way of the work, and then rock on with the cutting, now with base tie SRT, there is a bit extra to think about and prepare mentally when working.
I was whizzing around with my new 150t and really had to remind myself to LOOK where the down rope was, even a bit more than when using the handsaw because I was moving that much faster.
It's definitely a mental shift in work procedure, well at least for me 8)

...I agree with Bermy...double rope you really only mind the lines at one angle and location, it is a bit more to mind the suspension line and anchor line ...two sets of angles and locations , quite often I clip and move the piece of anchor close to a cut, pull it back towards me or another branch use a sling to hold it ...

I keep a second biner on my bridge. When the rope is in the way of the cutting, I clip the down strand into my bridge, keeping it way from the cutting. the down strand can stay clipped for as long as needed. It sorta makes it like a double-rope system from the stand point of where the two strands are in relation to sharp cutting things, but not in the functional climbing sense. it can stay clipped while climbing, too.

Sean, would you mind going into a little more detail about the right way to handle the base tie, or not base tying when working SRT in the tree when you get time. For those of us less experienced with rope work. Thanks.
Pat

Pat, in a nutshell, I use a piece of life support rope, like a piece cut off of a climb line from it getting spiked 10' from the end. Any life support rope will do. A piece of remnant rope from an arbo supply is usually cheap, and can be a different color/ pattern than your climbing system.

I use a piece of rope and a biner for my base-tie. This can be done at waist/ chest level, or use something to stand on. I can use my hand truck (especially with the mods) to lean it against the tree and tie it at about 8'-10', or use a ladder or stand on your truck or whatever.

This high base tie helps people that are concerned about their groundie cutting the climbing system rope. My alternative, don't hire that f-ing groundie.

I use a munter-mule knot https://midwestmountainguides.com/Tie_Munter_Mule_Knot.html, with an overhand tie-off (sometimes clipping an extra biner to the overhand tie-off and the down-strand. I use one of many life-support biners that I already have. You can spend like $150 instead on a fancy spliced, complicated, over-engineered (IMO) system. Mine is simple, cheap, functional, and almost free. If it were to get left/ lost, I'm out almost nothing, and will have a new system put together in about 2 minutes of being in my tool box. Of course you can tie the base-tie with another climbing line in case your want to climb a monster, so long as the circumference is not 150+', right?

I try to keep the base-tie a bit spun around the tree in order to keep the down-strand up against the tree, preventing most brush from having a chance to tangle in it (this hasn't really been a problem).

If you are tied at 3' of the ground, and are bombing out 5' chunks, the log can very possibly bounce back into your base tie-system. This is where a high-tie is useful. If you're tied up at 9', a 5' log isn't gonna hit the system. By the way, I choke the tree with a running bowline, this allows the system to be easily elevated, if needed.

Generally, I don't worry about needing a ground-rescue by the time I'm chunking a spar. IMO, this is much more stable and safer than when I have the top-handle and am cutting brush with drop-cuts, sometimes with one hand on the saw (chain saw or hand saw). Getting smashed by a rigged piece seems more likely than problems on a spar. I will frequently change to a top-tie, and carry my rope bag. This means that the ground crew doesn't have to keep getting my tail our of the way.

Furthermore, a base/ basal-tie puts more rope in the system than a crown tie for greater energy absorbtion in the rope, and if redirected, like in a broad-leaf tree, it can use the bending of the tree to absorb energy if a fall occurs, either from slack in the system, or a failed TIP branch (I've been 80' to a PSP primary suspension point, where the rope redirected to the ground, with a pencil size sprout supporting my jump-testing, which was 1' over a bomb-proof main crotch.)

In the treebuzz articles section there is an Engineering a Tree Removal article which goes into some of this concept of redirecting through the crown redirects the vector force down (compression) the stem, rather than laterally loading it.

Please ask more questions.

I have a new phone with the Tapatalk app which makes pictures easier to download. I'll try to get some new pics on my new phone and upload, as needed.

That's what I mean, precisely! ^^^

All the years double rope, I always made sure my lines were visible and out of the way of the work, and then rock on with the cutting, now with base tie SRT, there is a bit extra to think about and prepare mentally when working.
I was whizzing around with my new 150t and really had to remind myself to LOOK where the down rope was, even a bit more than when using the handsaw because I was moving that much faster.
It's definitely a mental shift in work procedure, well at least for me 8)

This makes sense in a way, and in another way is cheat against situational awareness.

You must be aware of every rope in the tree. You don't want to burn any rope (access line, or climbing rope) with a moving rigging rope. I am just maintaining situational awareness over the whole climbing system and rigging system. I rarely use an access line seperate from my climbing line.

Thanks for the detailed response Sean. It obviously comes from years of experience and a lot of careful thought to safety. I will study further.

P.S. regardless of whether SRT or DdRT,

when I can't be fully 100% positively aware of whether a rigging rope may cross my climb line (like a natural-crotch rigging line near my SRT natural-crotched rope. even though I will check, they may be close and not fully 100% within view. A recent tree comes to mind), I will sit fully on my lanyard attached to my bridge or bridge rings (which I will very/ most likely be able to fully see) and slack my climbline. Hard to burn a slack rope, unless pinned to a branch/ trunk by the rigging line. Bounce test and visually verify if in doubt about something compromising your lines.

Have your groundie check before setting the rig into action. REmember not to ask if they can see anything wrong. Ask if they can visually ensure that everything is right, no crossed lines, they understand where ropes may move as wood moves, etc. P.P.S. Good luck on finding a reliable groundie for this.

P.P.S. Good luck on finding a reliable groundie for this.

I believe this is harder than climbing itself. A great grounds is gold. Wish I had one:whine:
J8)

Got you Sean, knowing where every rope is all the time is essential, crossing ropes a nono!

On the second tree I ever took down I threw my lanyard around the standing leg of my rigging line. Ground guy could see it but didn't say anything. Nothing burned out, but I made damn sure not to do that again. . .

Back