NEW CLIMBING TECHNOLOGY QUICK STEP - first climb & mini review

Jack

Treehouser
Climbing Technology "Quick Step" Foot Ascender

2D654.jpg

Similar to a Pantin in size but with a latch similar to the CMI foot ascender.

The latch holds the cam open or closed which is useful to those who have trouble with Pantin kick-out and have to resort to a key-biner to lock the ascender closed.

Teeth are just slightly less aggressive than the Pantin but not as rope friendly as the CMI.

Being much smaller than the CMI, there is much less risk of damaging a tree in tight spaces.

Well made and easy to use.

from TreeStuff: http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=195&item=2230

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NvxVO2aUgXc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:thumbup::thumbup:

Looks good, Jack. I was wondering about it.

Looks like the CT has a couple good features missing in the new pantin. The new pantin doesn't appear to have a way to lock closed and also has no cordura sleeve over the lower strap.

Thanks, Jack! That looks like it is going to be a nice-to-use foot ascender.

Dave

I would like to see it next to the new Pantin, for size comparison.

Adam, you need to sew some cordura onto yours or it probly wont last right? How is the kickout on the new Pantin anyway?

Jack, does the strap that goes over your foot not come out of the buckle? I liked how you put it on over your foot. My Pantin's top strap is just long enough to get on and an be a PTIA sometimes. The CT looked like it just 'zipped' tight!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nick, it uses a double-ring style "buckle". I've got to go get-in some firewood for an elderly neighbor now. I'll try to post a pic when I get back. :)

Nick, I put some on it before I ever put it on. It's so weird to me that it didn't have any that I almost feel like someone must have forgotten to put it on at the factory. The webbing would be toast without it.

I don't really have a problem with kickout. I think it's a combo of the angle i run it at and form. Either that or I'm just lucky.

I'll take a pic of the pantin on a dollar bill for scale later and maybe we can talk jack into doing the same. :)

CT has had some nice looking stuff coming out lately. Their double handled angled hand ascender looks like a great piece of equipment too.

Here's the "buckle", Nick:

644203_348415678600842_1136802394_n.jpg

The pantin buckle has been a thorn in my side. It always comes loose on me. How well does the CT buckle work?

Sean, the CT buckle seems to be a simple (very old traditional design) that's small, neat and works well. BUT, I don't have a lot of time on it. I'm liking it, a lot.

I really like being able to kick out. Other than that the ct does look nice

It's just a matter of style, I guess. I really like the latch. However, I'm sitting here messing with the CT and think the latch could be disabled with a simple pop-rivet.

BUT, I won't know for sure 'cause ... I ain't gonna do that! :D

Jack, you have had this for awhile now, so how is it holding up? Are you still happy with it? I'm thinking it might be a better foot ascender than the Petzl for people wanting to use it with a knee ascender.

David

David, the CT has been working quite well ... for me. If you are use to and like the kick-out capability of the Pantin then you might not like the CT. Because, you cannot (at least I cannot) disengage the CT without using my hand to operate the latch. Personally, I like not having to 'think' about avoiding 'kick-out'. I see having to unlatch the CT by hand to be a lot better than using a biner to latch the Pantin as I've seen others do. The CMI can be unlatched with the other foot ... the CT cannot. But, the CMI is too damn big. Though I do keep the CMI in my kit as a back-up.

The straps and double-ring 'buckle' are durable, easy to use and seem to be holding up well.

Oh ... also, on the release ... I found disengaging the knee ascender first makes disengaging the CT easier. I managed to get them jammed together once an was forced to swear at them to get them to let go.
:lol:

Thanks Jack for the review along with your honesty during the learning process. That would be something I would do :D where is the video of that? Bloopers? :D

Back