foot ascenders? (AKA, "My prusik foot loop is SLOOOOWW...")

Spellfeller

Clueless but careful
Hi, all:

Trying to get a handle on foot ascenders.

There seem to be four on the market, and I think I've got it narrowed down to the Camp Turbo Foot (TS page) and the CT Quick Step (TS page).

(Went with these two because the CMI looks bigger and more awkward than it needs to be, and the Petzl Pantin is supposed to come off too easily. Please let me know if I'm wrong about that!)

Any experience with the Turbo Foot and/or the Quick Step? Thanks for your thoughts.

I have the ct,i like the locking of the cam,the camp was also on my list,i used the chest version for my knee ascender build,i like it,if you get the camp and don't like it we can trade 😜
Another thing that i was thinking of upon purchase was the aggressiveness of the teeth...i dint want the most aggressive for my ropes sake.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Sgriff.

Is that to say that the Camp's teeth ARE more aggressive than the CT?

Jeff,

If you can find an old version of the Petzl Pantin, you'll love it. I received this tip from Nick Bonner at TreeStuff while he was in Minot, North Dakota for the climbing demonstration class he put on for us.

The old Pantin has a hole in it behind the cam. That hole is perfect for inserting a non-locking mini carabiner. With the carabiner installed the Pantin will not kick out.

I have one of these older Pantin acenders. Just as Nick said........it's perfect.

Joel[

ATTACH=CONFIG]62880[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 0823151457_01.jpg
    0823151457_01.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 54
Old pantin was my favorite too. Most of your kick out is just due to form. Have to just learn to keep your foot in the right position. I personally like how easy you can kick out of it when you reach your work position. The Camp turbo behaves a lot like it.

I almost went with the CMI because people really like it's sturdyness and lock feature. Runs on 1/2" line really well I understand. The CT was shown to be more delicate and broke at the strap slot for some. If that has been fixed, some said they really like it.

Looks like a much repeated pattern here, get a foot ascender, then hitchclimber set up, then go full SRT, better rope, different hitch cords, knee ascender, then different types of ropes..... you can't fight it.... gonna happen.... just wait till he gets a taste of rigging..... ;)

I have the CT as well and love it. Needs very little rope below to start from the ground and is quick to get in and out of. I've used the pantin also. It does take a bit of work to get the proper form down but it's no big deal.

Raj I believe you are correct. He's caught the bug. He's got a fever and the only prescription is more hardware. ( in my best Christopher Walken voice)

If you can find an old version of the Petzl Pantin, you'll love it. I received this tip from Nick Bonner at TreeStuff...

Joel, wonder of wonders, it looks like TS is bringing out a copy of the original Pantin. They're calling it the "SUPER CLASSIC FOOT ASCENDER."

Check it out: https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=195&item=15099#detail

Copy reads in part: The most popular foot ascender ever designed is no longer in production. This makes climbers sad. We commissioned a replica to bring back a similar design to the climbing world.

Looks a lot like your picture!

Looks like a much repeated pattern ..... you can't fight it.... gonna happen.... just wait till he gets a taste of rigging..... ;)

He's caught the bug. He's got a fever and the only prescription is more hardware. ( in my best Christopher Walken voice)

You guys are spot on; I'm just trying to pace myself to a certain $ amount per month!

Do you realize what a burden it is to have TreeStuff ON YOUR WAY HOME FROM WORK?!! :lol:

Ha, if Australia makes good on charging GST on on-line purchases...I may just need a personal shopper to go to TreeStuff for me :)

Well, you may have a governor on your wallet, there is always that little piece of gear that makes the work climb faster and safer, price a job out right ( not sure you'll fall in this boat anytime soon) get that tree down in 3 hours instead of the 5 you quoted..... oh man it's tough not justifying that little order of gear..... and don't get me started on spares!

Ive been running the CT foot ascender and it works very good...no problems with foot strap

Jeff,

Thanks for sharing the TreeStuff link to the new foot ascender. It sure does look a whole lot like Petzl's original.....and I'm betting Nick Bonner has his hands in this clear up to his armpits. LOL. At any rate, I'm glad to see that it's back. No more searching Ebay for weeks on end trying to find one.

Joel

Thanks, Sgriff.

Is that to say that the Camp's teeth ARE more aggressive than the CT?

I was just looking today,they are a bit more aggressive,but both brands are less aggressive than others,which i prefer for my ropes sake. I doubt you can make a wrong choice here.
Like i said though,i went with CT because the locking action,I don't need to kick out,and don't want to.

Good find, Peter. Thanks!

Looks like the CT won out over the redesigned Pantin in that thread.

Well it's a shame, but I'm just going to have to go to TS and fondle the CT, the Camp, and the retro Pantin reissue they've got.

What a drag that will be! :/:

I may just need a personal shopper to go to TreeStuff for me :)

You've got a deal, Fiona.

In fact, if anyone wants more detailed pictures of something they carry or a short video, let me know. Have phone, will travel! :D

Hey, Jeff. I have a petzl pantin you can have, If you want it? And could you get me some good pics of the onyx saddle? :D

Back