Need advice on new set of climbers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It sounds like my only option is more padding at the pressure point. This can be achieved by either higher boots, the soccer pads, or thicker pads on the Geckos (not even sure if you can get different pads for them). Does anyone see any other alternatives? I don't really want to sell them and get something different but something has got to change. The oak that I worked the other day allowed me to set a TIP so I was able to get my weight off of them pretty regularly. However, I've got a large twin stem pine to do on Monday and I will have to limb up then negative rig down each stem. I will have my weight on the spurs for the majority of this removal.

I guess it would be the shank. since they are all one piece it doesn't really have a shank like traditional spurs. It is a very short shank before the pads start. The pressure is just a hair above where the pads start.

So are they hitting some thing on your boot there, or is the boot smooth at that point?
Or was your pants cuff balled up there?

Adding more padding there will just increase the pressure. Removing some of the padding at the pressure point would give more room.

But I am not there is person to see the pressure points.

... The pressure is just a hair above where the pads start.

Well if that pressure point is 2" or 3" above your ankle, it sounds like your new spurs are too short! Are you wrapping the lower strap around the shank like most of the pictures of the carbons show? I have had some spurs were doing that caused pain like you are describing. The cure was to take off the wrap and just snug up the straps, don't crank them down tight.

Word of warning on the Carbon fibre geckos.
As soon as you touch the ground with your feet, remove them. I knew a guy that would unclip from his system then walk out of the job zone to remove harness, Spurs etc. By walking on them regularly he kept chipping away at the carbon fibre on the bottom until they cracked being only 5 months old. Carbon maybe lightweight but can be brittle also when weakened.

Well if that pressure point is 2" or 3" above your ankle, it sounds like your new spurs are too short!

I'm beginning to think that maybe they are. I followed the instructions for measuring before I ordered them, but the first time I put them on I noticed that they were shorter than my previous buckinghams.

Are you wrapping the lower strap around the shank like most of the pictures of the carbons show? I have had some spurs were doing that caused pain like you are describing. The cure was to take off the wrap and just snug up the straps, don't crank them down tight.

I'm not wrapping them but I have been cranking them down pretty tight. I'll try to loosen them by one notch.

Word of warning on the Carbon fibre geckos.
As soon as you touch the ground with your feet, remove them.

Thanks for the advice. This is a habit that I need to start doing anyway. I am bad about walking back and forth from the truck to the tree with my spurs on.

Oh I do it all the time but I'm still on my steel Spurs that I was given when I was 14.;) maybe time for an update soon, they're just so damn comfy, but have never used anything else.

The fact of the matter is, not every persons tibula and fibula are the same. The frames of climbers are hard and set firm, and they are all a bit different. So considering the two things some people are going to experience pressure points where others wouldn't. So much like climbing saddles. Hey?

And then some people just whine a lot too. The best and most comfortable piece of kit, no matter, takes its toll on a climber after a long hard day.

Sounds like them to short or just to tight

I ran mine tight at first but just snug was way better....most comfy spurs Ive owned ;)

Good segway for a question I wanted to ask Burnham. (Though I'm sorry they didn't feel great right out of the gate.)

Burnham did you ever notice the Bashlin Aluminums giving good freedom of movement and comfort because they take a bit of a jog around your ankle bone?

All I ever noticed was, when outfitted with caddie pads as I did right out of the gate, they were comfortable. As were my steel Buckinghams. For me, it's always been about the pads for comfort. Kliens were never my fav, but that was not a comfort issue, but rather the shape of the gaff didn't work quite as well as a straight gaff did, for me.

The CF Geckos, never had a comfort problem at all. But if the length isn't right, sure, they will not be as they should. Though 2-3 inches above the ankle is too low for that to be the problem, if I get the post correctly.

I tried the angled Bashlin thinking I would love them. Nope back to Caddi. Guess we are all different.

Burnham thanks for your thoughts. That's another place I am different. Bashlin Aluminums jog around my ankle bone made all the difference.

Only problem I have with the CFs is that one pad keeps falling out.
Anybody have a solution to that?

Is that just the padding material coming off the backing plate Stig?

If so there are such great bonding agents these days. Biggest problem might be finding an epoxy that would let go if you ever wanted to get it off in the future.

Just glue it on.
That was too simple for me to figure out, I guess.

Just to give a quick update...I loosened off on the strap that goes around my foot and no more pain. They were just as comfortable if not more so than my old spurs. Funny how the smallest thing can make a huge difference.

Back