Need advice on new set of climbers

TreeHugger

TreeHouser
I've been climbing on Buckingham steel climbers with big buck pads for as long as I have been climbing. I've been saving and am finally looking to purchase a new set of climbers. I'm looking at either the Stein X2 Aluminums, Gecko aluminums, or Gecko carbon fibers. I've been saving for a while and I have the money to spend on the carbon fibers, but don't really want to drop that much on them unless they are far and away better than the aluminums. If any of you have any experience with any 3 of these spurs then please share. Thanks in advance.

I've been on Buckingham steels for over 29 years now. I'm interested to see the responses you get, as I've considered the Gecko carbon fibers as well.

I've used the aluminum geckos and love them. Feel very stable, even when I wear them with boots without a huge heel, like my salewa's. Don't have any experience with the other two. I bet the carbon fiber ones are really neat, though not sure if it would be worth the price difference.

I climbed maybe 10 or 12 years on steel Buckinghams, another 15 or so on Bashlin Alcoas, and 5 or 6 on Gecko carbon fiber with west coast straight tree gaffs (not those damned Euro bird's foot trash :)). Now, after retirement (which required that I return the CF Geckos to Uncle Sam :(), I am using Buckingham titaniums. And I spur climbed a lot, and a lot of big PNW conifers. I am not shy on calling myself well-qualified to rate them all :D. Though in truth, if you're climbing east coast/midwest hardwoods, then probably someone else will perhaps be a better source for feedback :).

So...I liked the Bashlins a lot, worth what they cost and the savings of a couple of pounds lighter that the steel Bucks helped me in that much of my work required cross-country hikes to the trees. I'd happily recommend them to anyone. Better than the steel Bucks, but only in the pack carry category, really...though after a long day on gaffs, the lighter weight of the Bashlins was noticeable to me.

The CF Geckos were unbelievable, I laughed out loud whenever I picked one up, so light as to be magical. I loved them, and wish I still had them...but the price is steep, eh? If I had the money and it wasn't going to take food from my family's table, I'd go that way. You never even notice they are there.

But if the price was a stumbling block for me, I'd go with the Buckingham T-2 spurs. Damn light, great gaff profile, and not so dear as the CF Geckos.

Prolly so, no argument from me...though the black shiny CF's do have that awesomeness factor in spades :D.

....gonna spend my whole career on steel Kliens w / long points .... Though I am curious to advantages of aluminum s or carbons ...

I sold my CF Geckos to Willie.

No kidding!
Then those were the ones I tried when I visited Willie a couple of years ago.

Probably the only spurs used by 3 different Housers:D

For what it is worth, after trying them I went straight home and bought a pair, price be damned.
I've been using them since and wouldn't consider changing back to Kleins.

....gonna spend my whole career on steel Kliens w / long points .... Though I am curious to advantages of aluminum s or carbons ...

You might consider the advantages of pole spurs in some trees. Dang was I cursing my tree spurs on a thin barked cottonwood. Wobbly. Torque-y on the joints.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the advice guys. I ordered the CF Geckos today. I pretty much had my mind made up before starting this thread, but wanted my decision to be reinforced.

Treehug, great choice, you will like em alot...I like my CF's so much better than my steel bucks.....sold the bucks ;)
CF's will pay for themselves in no time at all.....

Got my Gecko CFs in the other day. Been itching to use them and finally got the chance yesterday on a post oak removal. My first impression is that I love how little they weigh, however they were very uncomfortable. They dug into my leg about 2-3 inches above my ankle. I never had any discomfort with my big buck pads. I don't wear tall boots. Has anyone else experienced this? Can you change pads, or should I just invest in some taller boots? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Good segway for a question I wanted to ask Burnham. (Though I'm sorry they didn't feel great right out of the gate.)

Burnham did you ever notice the Bashlin Aluminums giving good freedom of movement and comfort because they take a bit of a jog around your ankle bone?

I have never had that with my CFs, but then I always wear Wesco linemans boots for spur work.

I used to wear high top Red Wings for all my tree climbing but have been using 6" Timberlands of late with Buckingham climbers and find them very comfy.

I'm currently wearing about a 6" el cheapo boot from Wal-Mart, but I've never had any issues with my steel Buckingham's with big buck pads. I'm thinking a 9" boot might be the answer. I just hate that I spent that much on these spurs and now looks like I've got to spend even more to make them comfortable.

That does suck but good footwear is money well spent. I've only put on a set of geckos once and couldn't get a feel for them as the guy that owns them is 6" shorter than me. I was impressed with how light they were compared to my bashlins with the giant pads. Probably will buy a set one day.

Is it the shape that causes the CF frame to dig in?

Or is it the padding getting pushing on a collar on the boot causing the pressure point?
May be able to change the padding some to adjust the fit/pressure point.

Kinda need to figure out the root cause before you throw more money at some thing that may not fix it, is my advise.

I think it was mentioned somewhere on this site before by wearing heavy soccer socks or even shin pads, might be a short term solution.

Back