my dirt bag cabin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
ok, here we go, another update on the progress so far. after a month of chopping mortices and muscling logs around i was finally ready to move to the next phase. i rented a forward reach forklift, and the rest is history. IMGP0130.jpg IMGP0135.jpg IMGP0140.jpg IMGP0143.jpg IMGP0147.jpg IMGP0148.jpg

Jaime, I'll say it again, with emphasis...this is art, this is sculpture. You are building something very special here. Kudos, my friend. If I should ever be so lucky enough to stand in that space, I'm sure it would be wonderful. Enjoy it.

you will all most certainly be invited to the house warming party! i enjoy posting pictures here and your positive responses have been very encouraging to me.

Jaime, this is the most impressive building I have seen. As a previous framer with more than five hundred houses behind me, I am very impressed. It takes a great deal of fortitude to accomplish what you have. My hat is off to you!

thank you. i must admit that i have been nervous that the real framers here might see what i am doing and think "what the hell is that?". im glad you like it. gives me confidence i am not totally off my rocker:D.

Yah it's mind blowing man. Really impressive. Thanks for keeping us all here in the loop on its progression.

thank you. i must admit that i have been nervous that the real framers here might see what i am doing and think "what the hell is that?". im glad you like it. gives me confidence i am not totally off my rocker:D.

Oh, make no mistake my friend...you are off your rocker :). It's just that we are right there with you :D.

Wow.....wow.....wow.

Before I started playing with saws, I built houses. Never anything like this......this is special.

I can hardly wait to see more.

another week, another small slice of progress. i found a local guy with a band mill and some fir logs to mill up the 6x6 beams (i will call them purlins) i need. i decided for the sake of cost and practicality to make each purlin in 3 sections. this is the splice joint. Santa Cruz-20131018-00753.jpg
i realized that this joint leaves the end of one of the beams only weakly supported. i plan to modify the rest by switching the bevel on the bottom so that it catches the lower edge of the top beam (does that even make sense?). one purlin completed, 4 more beams to go. IMG-20131020-00762.jpg IMG-20131020-00766.jpg IMG-20131020-00765.jpg

Back