my dirt bag cabin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i think i will have the retaining wall finished next weekend! so close and i can finally move on to getting a base coat of plaster on the exterior of the bags. i had a bit of a scare a few weeks ago when i noticed beetles getting into my beams:\:. luckily they were just getting started and i was able too nuke them with some nasty stuff. i went through and meticulously marked every hole and sprayed it with bug killer, then i hosed all the beams with a less toxic boric acid product. i cant tell you how relieving/satisfying it was to see dead beetle littered about under the beams today:evil:.
progress at the end of last weekend. almost back to my start point! IMG_0408.jpg
ran the top course most of the way across the back wall today. IMG_0411.jpg IMG_0412.jpg

I had beetles eating on my house while it was under construction (all rough sawn lumber).......once everything is finally dried in, they will be gone.

i hate those little bastards! gives me near panic attacks just thinking about them. im going to have to replace the two posts inside the entrance they've got beetles so bad. although i would have had to replace them regardless as they are not tall enough:|:. getting everything closed in is my major goal for this summer. its going to be tight.

...and the work continues... my little bro and his gf came down and helped out last weekend. decided it would be a good opportunity to haul some logs out of the woods. these redwood poles will replace the oak posts on either side of the door (they turned out to not be tall enough, and they have BEETLES!).
who needs mechanical advantage when you have free labor?
IMG_0417.jpg
IMG_0414.jpg
these trees are deceptively old! and very heavy!
IMG_0435.jpg
springtime bark peels like a dream. i want to cut down more just so i can peel them.
IMG_0419.jpg IMG_0424.jpg IMG_0426.jpg

notice the windows? IMG_0427.jpg
this log will go above the door and windows as a decorative header
IMG_0436.jpg IMG_0437.jpg found a great use for my chipper and the bark! im going to use the fiber to fortify the plaster for the walls! IMG_0438.jpg

Back