Mud Truck Thread!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
DSC05163.jpg

Any T-Houser need a spool gun? Miller 185 fwiw.

Unless I get compelled to keep it or someone here wants it, it's going to Ebay.

Got it hooked up and laid a short bead with it (MIG). The gun's liner came with a factory defect, so I know it's not been used. The gun end of the liner folded over a bit blocking the wire's path.

A 5 second fix with the wire cutters and I was squitin wire like a teenage boy.

This afternoon/tonight, Daniel and I got the axles stripped. We pulled the hubs, backing plates for the brakes, spindles, axle shafts and center sections. We pulled at least 5lbs of grease from each hub/knuckle (part of the design) times 4 hubs.

We pulled the center section (220lbs or so) in preparation to mohawk the oil pan to gain some clearance and loose the goofy drain plug. The carrier halves in the center section will have to be bored out to accept the larger shafts when the times comes. The current plan is to mohawk the axles, get them cleaned up, paint them, and store them until I have the moneys for the axle shaft kits.

FWIW, I can move the the bare housing with knuckles, but we used the chain hoist to lift the axles on the stand and to lift the center section out.

Still have to take the drums (30+ lbs each) off the hubs, going to use air tools for that. That should be about 60ish pounds we removed from each corner in scrap metal :).

After that, we got the range box pulled of the first transfer case, the one that goes in front of the 205 to act as a gear splitter.

Will try to take some pics tomorrow. All told we spent about 4.5 hours on them this eve.

200' of 1.75"x.120" DOM, 100' of 2.5"x.125", and 100' of 1.5"x.120" DOM would be $3453 from Metals Depot, delivered. Surely that would be enough metal to do the chassis.

Metals Depot is no deal at all. They are about double the price as I am paying for 1" x 1 1/2" rectangular tubing at the local distributor.:?

I'll check local for sure, that was just for a point of reference.

I'm nowhere near ready to start the tubing, but I do have a question. Do I want to run a front or rear engine buggy? The Rocks have a removeable 3rd so getting reverse rotation isn't an issue. If I go rear, I'll have to run an auto tranny (400), but my 203 transfer case will still mate to it and the 400 is plenty strong.

I have plenty of opinions at Pirate, I was looking for ya'lls input.

Plus, there's shit for rocks within an hour of here.

Dad's of the opinion that I should keep the spool gun, I don't disagree with him at this point.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_212/ That's the slightly more powerful and updated version of my welder. Only $2755 MSRP for one with the spool gun!

I agree with your dad Carl, you can weld aluminum, stainless, or steel the same as your main gun. But the spool gun gives you a lot more reach. Is it the 15ft reach or the 30ft. looks like 15ft to me. I use my spool gun all the time, I have the 30ft reach.

I don't have a big aluminum bed to service. The only aluminum I have that I can think of is on the mini. I've never had to take something aluminum to the shop to have someone else weld it.

I also plan on buying a TIG at some point.

Your missing the point you can put a spool of steel wire in the spool gun and get more reach. It's not just for aluminum.

It seems to me I am seeing more and more MID engine setups Carl. It seems to giv e a better balance. But I see more of them go over as well!
Useing a dry sump oil system you have a much better chance at engine survival no matter what way you go!!

Keep the damn spool gun!! You will thank us latter in the future!

Sorry LJ, I was rushed when I posted that link.

I wanted to say, that I saw a vid. from that site showing a guy crawling. He had a mid-engine vehicle.
I was impressed with how low the center of gravity was, and how nimble it was.
I can't answer your question but I always liked mid-engine placement. (for what its worth)

I switched a porche once. I think it was the 917? Anyway, put a chevy 350 in that little thing.
Just stuck to the road, but kept burning clutch plates.

I'm still planning on going big block, if only for the sake of having enough horses to get the big tires spinning. Mud requires horses, rocks require low torque, trails require a mix.

Rear engines can also allow better visibility, and protect the engine from alot of mud.

Here's a pretty general idea of what I'd be thinking about for a rear engine. Those are 49", it currently is on 54".

I do like the closed off occupants compartment, keeps the mud out! I'm not sure if I'll run those types of shocks, but I might (26" of travel).

WarthogonTrailerResized.jpg

Some differences:
I was thinking of putting the fuel cell in the front.

The wheelbase is a bit long for those tires. However since I plan on running 54" and 66/72" tires, a longer wheelbase would be needed to make up for the R1/2 or Terra tires added 9" radius but not as long as that.

Different axles (top loaders vs his front loader) so my belly will hopefully be 6" higher or so. He is running a 205 transfer case with the front output clocked straight down with it under the input. I plan to run mine flat.

Otherwise, that's fairly well the same idea I'm thinking of for a rear engine.

For the record, that buggy has about 66" of combined travel in the suspension. The shocks have 26" of travel.

I was wanting that much flex, but with a hydro over nitrogen shock setup so I could force the flex (lift/lower each corner individually), or be able to let the nitrogen work as an air shock when I didn't need it.

Probably not. There's a monopoly here local and it's more expensive than gas.

Plus if I went on a trip it'd be harder to locate.

Just as an example, excluding caffine, I spend less than $50 a year on mind/mood altering drugs like cigs or booze.

A smoker that burns 5 packs a week burns what, over $1k a year?

The 2 pack a day guys burn I'm guessing $2550 a year or more ($3.50 a pack).

We're probably looking at "finishing" it at the earliest maybe some time 2010 but more likely in 2011 or later. The only hold up is the money. I'd like to collect parts as I go so I have plenty of time to make up/change my mind :lol:

"The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys."

I might smoke 5 cigs a year.

One night with Topper and his wife I smoke a pack :lol:.

But in general, no.

I might buy a few fifths over the year, but they are more of a community drink.

Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure I paid more than $50 in St. Louis, not counting the free drinks.

My point was the "average" person spends a goodly bit of money in a given year on their vices. No it wouldn't pay for the buggy, but I'd guess it makes a difference.

:lol:

The last time I recall smoking was winter of 06. Daniel has started smoking lights and they make me choke, aint worth the effort to buy a pack of Reds. Yep, he's an idiot.

I was thinking of saving up $8k or so and getting a snazzy new four wheeler. Save up another $2k or so while I'm deciding what, if any modifications it "needs." It'd be way cheaper and easier!

Back