MS201T

I'm still running my 020t...screen out, 14" bar, 3/8 picco...starts every time, still going strong!
I had the carb changed to a two jet one just after I found it around 9yrs ago...yes it was a free saw...

That was 2 weeks ago. I bought four out of their last dozen and on the last one they jacked the price up on me and gave me dirty looks. :what:

Yeh I was suprised, we got 3 for $559each I wanted the light weight bar which added $40. Can hardly believe we got them for less than MSRP

Skwerl, the dirty looks were because you were dirty, not because you have a saw fetish......

I thought the strato dealio was an intake thing. How would that effect the seating of the rings? Or what else needs to break in in that 30 tanks?

I don't get that explanation either.
I own a shitload ( well, more like 5!) strato saws and they have all performed well right out of the box.
But better after about 2-4 tanks of gas, I must admit.

But 30 tanks, no way!

SUPER RINGS!!!!!

:lol:

You boys sound like a bunch of weekend hobby cutters:lol: 2-4 tanks:lol:
Hell I got saws that have well over 500 tanks on them and they are running stronger every day. My 372XP has well over a 1000 tanks through it and it still impresses me.

Believe me put 30 tanks through that strato 201 and you'll love it. I don't own a 201 but from good reliable advice I got from a friend, believe it.;)

Well now if I recall correctly Willard has about a zillion .325 bars and a mile and a half of chain allready too .

Me on the other hand might be lucky to drum up 4 bars and 6 loops ..325 to me is as big a pain in the butt as 3/8 lo pro to Willard most likely .;)
Al, actually I only have one other saw that I run .325 on and that's my 346XP along with some retired pulpwood saws I ran years ago. The "toy" 346XP is also now retired. So just my little top handles get the .325 now.
Outside the U.S. the MS200 rear handle has the optional .325 setup, so does the Husky 338XP rear handle. So I only found it fitting to try the .325 on my top handles and it works excellent. Holds a good edge , less stretching, much longer filing life and for aerial work that chain rips like there's no tomorrow.

A little history lesson on the 3/8 LoPro. When Oregon introduced it in 1976, Stihl & Windsor in 1979 the chain was designed for and called "consumer chain". In other words hobby chain for electric and not much better saws. 1/4" full comp and skip tooth was the top handle choice in the day. But it was cheaper [ some argue safer for the new ANSI standard craziness in the mid 1980s] for the sawchain manufacturers to just push the 3/8 LoPro on the market.

Like I already mentioned the .325 is a factory option on the MS200 and 338XP rear handle, so my advice is its been proven to be a good alternative.
My other advice when running the more aggressive .325 doing aerial cutting ,most times the chain cutting near your face or upper body .....be careful with kickback and be careful not to file the depth gauges too low.

Weekend cutters!
I have already worn 2 strato saws out, my man.
I run saws some 2000 hrs/year, for a mid-weight saw like the 441 that means that in 3 years it is ready for the retirement home.
Which doesn't mean that it is heading for the secret elephant graveyard of old saws, my dealer will work it over and sell it to a weekend cutter.

Well then think like a logger Stig.
30 hours on a new saw [one tank per hour] is less then 4 days old.

As a logger I was lucky to get one year out of a pro saw.

It used to be a small and a large saw every 2-3 year here to the loggers.

Those that still have two run them out in 1,5-2 years.

2000hrs work is about what there is in a saw. After that is not cost effective anymore and change is better.
These newer saws after 2000 have more repairs than its ancestors.
I have high hopes on these new saws but sadly don't believe in the Strato charge/X-Torq engines. A waste of resources, effort and capital if you ask me...

Yup... My brush saws last about 2-3 years
The saws I use for tree work... My 066 was used when I got it and still going strong after 7 years. 200T 6 years...
Hours are the key......
Week end sawyer.... Dude what ya smokin?

Agreed, Willard.
In the good old pulp days I used to toss the saw out every year.
The 70 and 90 cc saws I run today runs about 1000 hrs each every year, so they last for 2 years.
But it seems to me, saws last better today than back then.
Maybe part of that is because the fuel I use is better today.

When I was in SC this week, Scott had a 201 muffler opened up on the bench in his garage. He said he couldn't leave the screen out because the exhaust flow would burn the side cover.
I got to thinking about this and I can't help but wonder if that " Strato " deal has something to do with that .

Sometime around 1968 they added air injection pumps to combust some of unburned gasses coming out the exhausts of car engines .That wee bit of air injected directly in back of the exhaust valve in the manifold added just enough fresh air to get the job done at least partly .

So here we have this little bit of unfuel ladden air which the strato uses as blow down instead of fuel enriched .I'm thinking in my pea mind this might have the same effect as the air pump on the car engines .

So if that's the case a more unresticted muffler would kind of act like a blow torch burning off the remaining unburned fuel with in itself . A miniature version of Puff the magic dragon .

I'll put the tanks through the 201 someday, as it's still riding 2nd fiddle to the 200t for now.

You still didn't answer the question. I know you know alot more of the technical jazz about saws than I do, so is there anything else that needs to 'break in' besides the rings seating? Does a strato have a different break-in than a non-strato saw?

I'll let the weekend cutter thing slide.................this time. Lol.

Well I don't have a clue on that one .On that all I can say is it takes longer to seat the rings on a new set of rings on an old cylinder that it does on a fresh one but that shouldn't apply in this case .

Now if that little saw plays second fiddle to a 200 you're never going to get it broke in .If nothing else cut some firewood with the little rascal and get some run time on it .Else wise the damned thing will end up 10 years old still not broke in and still being cussed on .

It's about placement Al, not fuel. It's the same as doing a muffler mod on a 192t, when you make the hole where it needs to be it burns the plastic on the cover.

I'll have to take your word for it because I've never seen one .I did review that 201 vid clip again though .

Fact just a few weeks ago I saw Bradley David and he was not with the 201 so evidently it either didn't suit him or something because had he been especialy proud of it it would have most likely accompnied him . Some time ago he fiddled with a 441 that must not have been any kind of a super star else more would have been said about it .

Now I'm here to say I for one certainly do not have the money to buy brand new saws to fiddle and twittle with . You can wrap up enough time and money on 50 dollar specials doing that stuff .

I'll put the tanks through the 201 someday, as it's still riding 2nd fiddle to the 200t for now.

You still didn't answer the question. I know you know alot more of the technical jazz about saws than I do, so is there anything else that needs to 'break in' besides the rings seating? Does a strato have a different break-in than a non-strato saw?

I'll let the weekend cutter thing slide.................this time. Lol.
Nothing to explain about my strato answer besides you having a well broke in MS200 compared to a brand new 201. The strato's do run different but I think what would help your 201 is a muffler mod. If that doesn't help well at least the extra noise will make it seem like its cutting faster.
Not only is ring seating important, but crankshaft and con rod bearings breaking in and "loosening up" is very important too. A strato's fuel economy with less time wasted fueling up would probably pay off especially working up in a tree, rather then the gas guzzling flash in the pan saw.

You should hitch a ride on Tolko's private jet and pay a visit with me here in The Pas, bring along your 200 and 201. I think Thorkelson still flys up here once a week to check out his papermill.
:)

Ran the modded 201 today. Put 2 tanks thru. It doesn't scream like a 200 but I feel it has loads more torque. It took me nearly 1 hr and 4 trees to run a tank of gas out. Nonstop cutting!! I don't ever remember getting that kind of milage on a 200.

Yah well I've been running my stock one again and I still say it sucks compared to the 200t. Definetly doesn't feel like it has more torque then the 200 to me. It feels like it stalls in the cut super easy whenever I lean on it in the slightest, due to it's wimp ass lack of chainspeed.

Holmen Tree I'm not running it against a seasoned 200t, I'm running it against an almost new 200t as well. I'll put the 30 tanks through and see, I mean it cuts but it doesn't in any way feel/seem like an improvement in things to me.

The break in procedure is critical on these saws if you ever want any power out of them. You need to fire them up and peg the throttle right off the bat, and hold it pegged for about 60-90 seconds. Then rev it a few times and cover different RPM ranges for another 30-60 seconds. Then peg it again for another 60 seconds. Dial the 200T in at 14K rpm. If you baby it on the initial break in then it will always run weaker.

I had two 200Ts I bought at different times from a local dealer and both were weak for their entire lives. Last week I pulled out a 200T I had bought brand new in the box, not assembled or set up by the dealer. I broke it in as stated above and it runs like a scalded ape right from the get go. On its first job I was cutting 12" oak with it and it ripped through the cuts better than my other, two year old 200T.

Back