MS201T

The "pop up" is actually machined removing material around the outside of it to clear the squish band, the allows even higher compression.

Yes.. and if you need to replace it... contact machinist instead of just buying a regular piston ;)
I deal with a little less compression with out much issue in a tree. So long as it is proper enough to push the saw through wood proper :D

The super bee has a domed piston with a shaved cylinder and a base gasket .

My reasoning behind a domed piston is to change the transfer flow over the top of the piston rather than use it to raise the compression .I felt it might do better in sweeping the area directly above the intake which is the hardest area to attempt to purge the residue of exhaust gases on the blow down portion of the cycle .In other words that period of time between the exhaust port opening and the transfer port opening .

I'm not saying that a standard flat top piston wouldn't work because obviously they do .Just my little experimentation .If the piston blows or needs replaced for any reason I just cut another one .No big deal for me .

I don't imagine that machining a piston would cost very much if you wanted to hire someone to do it. Pretty low on the learning curve of lathe work, and quick to do. You just need to be clear on the specs for the machinist, especially how much to leave above the top ring groove. I think that lightening a piston is a real sweet thing to do, taking off the superfluous casting material underneath and opening and shaping the piston windows (if it has them) for better flow, but for some reason it doesn't get mentioned so much when folks are talking about mods.

Every saw I've ever reworked had some work done on the piston .A little here a little there .It all adds up .

A 200 though is so tiny most people don't want to even fiddle with them .No big deal really it's the same principal only in miniature .Those that say they can't be improved who claim to be enginemen aren't kidding me a bit ,they just don't want to work on them .

I always figured if those folks can soup an RC engine a tiny saw shouldn't be so tough .An RC engine compaired to a 200 is like compairing lawn mower engine to a 460 Ford .

Well I put my 201t back together on Friday. It seems to be screaming..........hope I don't have an air leak.

I'll be running it this next week and will give it a honest to goodness chance to impress me.

I was talking to some arborists at a course last week and they said the 3/8 LoPro chisel chain makes a big difference on the 201 from brand new right out of the box.
Also was told after about 30 tanks of fuel the 201 really starts to make good power.

Well then it would only make sense that the chain would also make just as much difference on the 200T as well. The chain doesn't care what the model number is on the side of the saw case.

Well then it would only make sense that the chain would also make just as much difference on the 200T as well. The chain doesn't care what the model number is on the side of the saw case.
Well maybe that's why Stihl introduced a 15% faster chain for a 15% slower saw:lol:

I feel like that chain pulls to large of a kerf. I might be the only one that feels like that.
I haven't tried the new 3/8 LoPro chisel chain yet but am presently running .325 chisel on my MS200 and Husky 338XPT. Now that chain pulls a big chip, needs lots of tender loving care with the file.

I just tried out a loop of Oregon narrow kerf .325 semi-chisel on the MS200 the other day and it seems to cut faster then the wider chisel. Will hold a better edge too.

Now I may be trying out the new Husky T540XP soon:what::?

With the 3/8 lo pro, Willard, are you talking about the Oregon stuff that they say has longer cutters now? I'm waiting for a short spool of it from the states. Didn't much expect to read you saying that you are looking at that pitch lo pro, since a number of your previous comments saying how you don't care for it. Personally, I run it on all my smaller saws, including the ones that would have the .325 normally. I find that it just makes life easier with the same chain.

I've got a loop in the truck which as soon as I find the time I'm going to test against a standard semi chisel Stihl branded chain .Also when it's not raining like it seems to have been for three days .

Didn't much expect to read you saying that you are looking at that pitch lo pro, since a number of your previous comments saying how you don't care for it. me chain.
I would never go back to the 3/8 LoPro. I was just trying to help new MS201 owners get a little more speed..

Well now if I recall correctly Willard has about a zillion .325 bars and a mile and a half of chain allready too .

Me on the other hand might be lucky to drum up 4 bars and 6 loops ..325 to me is as big a pain in the butt as 3/8 lo pro to Willard most likely .;)

I thought the strato dealio was an intake thing. How would that effect the seating of the rings? Or what else needs to break in in that 30 tanks?

I don't get that explanation either.
I own a shitload ( well, more like 5!) strato saws and they have all performed well right out of the box.
But better after about 2-4 tanks of gas, I must admit.

But 30 tanks, no way!

Thirty tanks is how I break in a new guy at the gas station to fill my can with high octane and not regular. School leavers y'know.

Back