MS201T

I guess I've been lucky...
Hey, I saw in the paper here (Tasmania) this morning, an MS290 for sale for $950AUD!!!! At the present exchange rate that's around $1000US!
I have one coming in my container, maybe I'll sell it and buy a 200t from one of y'all...or a polesaw...

I think some of Stihl's carb engineers need to go over to Echo to learn how a good carb needs to be built.

I am not a Echo fan, don't get me wrong their equipment is underpowered compared to Stihl but I do have an Echo blower and that thing sits around for weeks at a time with fuel that goes stale but never has falled to fire by the third pull. Usually it only takes two and it is running. Ihaven't had to do a thing too it since I got it 3-4 years ago.

If only Stihl's saws were that reliable. I would be very happy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Stihl doesn't build carbs...

Here is a vid. I found. I have a ms200t "parts saw" that I just recently got with a few others & am now yearning to get enough parts together to try this little hotrod out !! So if anyone has a scrapper sitting around I'd be interested in it.

Steve

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I7DzCql3AVA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The 201 loooks just fine in that vid. I spoke to a shop today. They sold one to a company that I know and they love it. Says it has more power.

I reckon a muffler mod will perk it up nicely. If it's a different design from the 200 with that screen that gives about 8% more power when removed, it will need a bigger port.

I'll prolly wait for the new Husky. The vid of it at work is impressive. Maybe buy another 2139T while they're still available. Mine is still doing well after 4 or so years--it's down on power a bit, and needs priming to get it started when hot...a minor irritation. Every bit as good a saw as the 200T and $200 cheaper...and faster with the ported muffler.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lol.

I know I know.

I just don't think the 201 is all that bad. But who doesn't want a 200T in the attic anyways? :lol:

I agree the 201 with a larger port is going to scream. I destroyed the muffler taking mine apart, as soon as I get the replacement. The dremel is going to make quick work of that.

I'm still saying it was a dog compared to a 200 with the screen pulled and who in the hell runs one with the screen in? It still sits on the shop bench, I'll maybe get it going again over the plow season. Straight up dog, 16" bars running head to head with a 200 that of course has the screen removed.

As I've said before...two absolutely "identical" stock machines, be it a chainsaw, an automobile engine, or a nuclear reactor...are not assured of performing equally. Too many variables within allowable machining and assembly tolerances to have it be any other way. Justin, I bet you just got a laggard by the luck of the draw.

No pictures yet but I bought my first 200T, new, 2 days ago. I have been looking at it for several months at the local hardware store/Stihl dealer (Ace). The morning I went to finally give in and buy the saw it was gone. This thread pushed me over the edge and then the thing was just gone. My store called their other nearby Ace store and went and picked up the last one at that store for me.

Alex and I used it today for the first time...I got it with a 16" bar...price on the wall was $599 on sale from $649...apparently that was with a 12" bar. They wanted $619 for the saw with 16" but dropped that by $10 so price was $609.00. The first thing I noticed was how quickly it started when Alex warmed it up for me...2 yanks and it snorted just fine. When I pulled it up in the tree and pulled the cord the first time I couldn't believe how easily it pulled. My 019T was a good bit harder to start...the compression seems different for this saw somehow. So far it usually starts on the first pull...hooyah! It also revs up quicker...I'm looking forward to learning more about it.

As I've said before...two absolutely "identical" stock machines, be it a chainsaw, an automobile engine, or a nuclear reactor...are not assured of performing equally. Too many variables within allowable machining and assembly tolerances to have it be any other way. Justin, I bet you just got a laggard by the luck of the draw.
I'll second that .There's probabley something that can be done short of souping it up but that is often illusive .

I'm still saying it was a dog compared to a 200 with the screen pulled and who in the hell runs one with the screen in? It still sits on the shop bench, I'll maybe get it going again over the plow season. Straight up dog, 16" bars running head to head with a 200 that of course has the screen removed.

Burnham, he is just a fair weather tree guy, what does he know:P

True about most chainsaws having some variables and power differences from the start, but when you figure that most folks don't take very good care of their stuff, like keeping the cylinder fins clean, around the carb, etc, even with a slightly poor runner, by following some basic maintenance you can be above the used saw performance average after awhile. Aside from one guy, I can hardly remember the last time I saw a clean often used saw being run by a professional in these parts.

I can't anwer if the 200T was made in Germany or Va Beach .I'll take look see in a little bit and see if it tells on my two weather if-or .

I doubt if it would make any dif one way or the other as far as quality .

Someone needs to hunt up a vid of a 201t running against a 200t with the screen pulled with either the same or comparable bar and chains. In that guys vid that I watched it did ok against a stock 200t with the screen in with a new bar and chain and than was definetly not equal to a old 200t with the screen pulled with a chain of who knows what kind of sharpness. I'm telling ya side by side with a healthy, sharp 200t, with the screen pulled of course. No one is going to grab the 201.

Say I just got through inspecting 14 Stihl products to find country of origin .From an 011 to an 084 including a BR 400 blower .Only on two,an 020 top handle (old ) and an 038 mag did I find anything .The 020 Germany ,the mag Brazil .

So that said I have no clue where the 200t is made .

I had this thought cross my pea mind though .Say they never really quit making it like the 038 Mag and Ms 440 and reintroduced again in two years .Hey Husqvarna did it with the 372,Stihl did it with the 440 .Maybe this is a trend like tail fins on old Cadillacs .

Squisher, from what I've heard you need to lean them off a bit.

Not sure about changing the timing on a work saw, but he gets it going. Muffler and screen seems enough.8)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1EPaEHVhXzY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It would make sense that relieving the exhaust would have like effect as doing so on a conventionally designed 200T .

On the 201 even with a non fueled air charge doing the blow down verses a fuel ladden charge from the 200 once that little puff of air was gone the remaining fuel ladden charge would carry more punch .Well makes sense .The faster it moves the more gets in in the time alloted .--time area open /velocity .

I'm curious about the timing advance .I'd guess about 2-3 degrees to around 30 ahead .

When I was in SC this week, Scott had a 201 muffler opened up on the bench in his garage. He said he couldn't leave the screen out because the exhaust flow would burn the side cover. Perhaps a modified screen removal technique might work and still route the exhaust through the existing outlet, which could be enlarged? I recall doing something similar on Stephen's 200T muffler because of the strict Forestry Service enforcement out there regarding the requirement for screens in place on all saws. I cut the screen at the indicated red line and reinstalled the outer part without the screen.

Back