MS201T

I meant in the tuning difference between the old and newer 201's. If the bulletin was to just turn them up some more. Or if there was more to it.

I think the notion of those GTG cookie cutter screamin meanies went out the door a few years back .People finally figured out those high ported screamers were not worth a pinch of coon chit for a work saw .

I meant in the tuning difference between the old and newer 201's. If the bulletin was to just turn them up some more. Or if there was more to it.

I think it was more to do with low speed tuning. If it's too rich on the low side it will transition well, but never reach proper RPM in the cut. Keep in mind that I'm just going by what I've seen when tuning these saws myself, and not from any service bulletin.

I like my saws with just a tad of four stroke in the sound. Never have burned anything up so far, and the plugs look good. Some stock saws like the small Zenoah/Redmax clamshells, if you lean out the high speed too much, you can't get a proper setting on the low speed between a good idle and proper acceleration. Super delicate adjustments for some reason. There definitely is a connection between the two settings.

So does anyone know what was changed between the early and the current 201s? That's what I'm wondering about.

Hi,

quite some time ago (I think it was in autumn 2013) the 201T was changed. There is a new carburettor (again ;-) ), a new throttle linkage, a new ignition module, and a new flywheel. Even in my opinion the new 201T run fine now - no problems any more.

Hi,

quite some time ago (I think it was in autumn 2013) the 201T was changed. There is a new carburettor (again ;-) ), a new throttle linkage, a new ignition module, and a new flywheel. Even in my opinion the new 201T run fine now - no problems any more.
x
I understand the upgrade was in Feb. 2014.......here in North America anyways.

Maybe you remember my first posting in the forum. I wrote about the MS 201 T something like: "The problem of the 201 is it's carburettor and there are two things you should know about the ignition module of this saw: It is computer controlled and the maximum rotations of the saw are limited by the module and not by the setting of the H-screw (1st thing). If you want to adjust the carburettor always do it with a warm engine. Before you do any adjustments, let the saw idle for about 20 seconds. This is neccessary because the ignition module goes to initial state (2nd thing)."

Let me write an update to that: As far as I know, the 2nd thing is only true for the "old" MS 201 T. The "new" MS 201 T with the new ignition module do not need the 20 seconds wait-time any more. If you want to set up the carburettor do the following: Adjust idle BEFORE you adjust full throttle, only adjust the carburettor if the saw has been warmed up: Adjust L screw for the highest possible idle RPM. Use the LA screw to ensure you don't get over 3600U/min! Once you found the highest idle RPM, use the LA screw to set it to 3600U/min. Use the L screw to richen the mixture until you get 3000U/min.
3000 U/min is too high for me and I use 2800-2900 U/min.

In my opinion the "new" MS 201 T run really nice now! It's a pitty that Stihl went into the market with the "old" MS 201 T with all the problems I experienced.

Has anyone tried the Husqvarna T540XP? It has got an electronically regulated carburettor. I don't like it. If I wanted to stop the engine, I only had to idle it up a bit and then release the throttle. The rotation of the saw dropped until the engine switched off. One has to get the idle rpm set up at a dealer. He uses a laptop for that. First thing: I don't carry a laptop around with me when I cut trees. Second thing: Why doesn't the T540XP have a rpm-sensor inside? The idle rpm should be programmed into the electronics and the electronics should regulate the rpm to this factory default value itself.

end of monologue ;-)

In my opinion the "new" MS 201 T run really nice now! It's a pitty that Stihl went into the market with the "old" MS 201 T with all the problems I experienced.

How good are the new ones Bee, in your opinion? I guess the real question is, how do they stack up against the incomparable 200T?

Butch what size bar are you running? Are you still running 16? I gotta get back to my roots and get back to a 16.

I hate 14's too. I have to get out of this funk. This guy I team up with sometimes. runs a 12" and it gives me goosebumps.

Might as well go with the ms 150 with 12inch bar

I would send a guy home if he showed up with a 200t with 12inch bar :lol:

I just picked up my first 201t last week. I have been using 192t's for the last couple of years. When at the saw shop I asked for the most recent model. He looked at the serial numbers on all the ones he had in stock and gave me the highest number. So far I am very impressed with the saw! I ran about 4 tanks of fuel through it. Idles great, cranks right up, and very responsive so far. I used an older 201 last year on a job but I believe it had safety chain on it so I can't compare the two. I love having the 16" bar again since years ago using the 020t with a 16" bar.

The T200 balances nicely with a 12" bar.
I have one set up like that for small conifers and stuff like that.
No need to drag iron around a tree that you don't need.

You'd send me home then.
The T200 balances nicely with a 12" bar.
I have one set up like that for small conifers and stuff like that.
No need to drag iron around a tree that you don't need.
I have another in the truck with a 16" for when that is needed.
Diversity :D

Two additional inches (especially if you use a composite bar) doesn't add any noticeable weight. Two additional inches DOES allow you make large cuts with ease.

Just check my avatar.

Back