MS201T

If you remove the baffles it gives it one additional exit hole .It's got some diverters built into the alumium muffler halves .Grind out the rear ones gives it a straighter shot out the exit I have a picture some place .Now this is a 200T a tad off the subject .Some day I'll get my hands on a 201t and figure that thing out .When I have no idea .

Attachments

• 200T muffler 002.jpg
    200T muffler 002.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 47
I've got a love/hate triangle going on with mine; but Al's friend is absolutely right about the "cold-saw" buisiness. They DO really need a lot more to warm up, but when they do, they have beautiful torque and (when modded) comparable (to the 200) throttle response. I did all of the Brad Sneller mods myself, just to be able to live with that pig. Can't imagine running one bone stock. The flywheel timing advance really seems to push it along a bit, and you definitely want to rip those silly, plastic limiter caps of of the carb screws, and drill-out the limiter pin. Hog a big hole through the muffler, and your done. Nice torque out of those pigs, even if they are cold-blooded SOB's.

Oh and Butch: If you don't want the pain in the neck of modding that thing, just (I'm actually dead serious here) ram a bar wrench through the side of the muffler with a hammer or something, and I SWEAR it'll run better than the bone-stock pig that it is.

It's a saw for one of the people I work for... not my saw.

I'm telling ya'll, I have no problem with it. It helped me slay a huge water oak in 5 hours today.

With all due respect, "Hog a big hole through the muffler", seems ill advised without more specifics like how big a hog, unless you want a saw that won't idle without the chain turning. At least it is that way on most saws, where some resistance to exhaust flow is required. Somthing different on that saw where you can basically just take off the muffler? :lol:

Big hole aye .Off the wall again but I've got an old Mac geardrive that in essence is running open exhaust and loud enough to wake the dead .At idle it has to be set so rich it looks like it's burning soft coal or pine knots .When you gas it it takes about 10 seconds to burn up all that gas until it runs right .So bigger is not always better depending on the subject;)

Mines a pig. I've heard the newer ones are improved somehow and aren't as bad. I wonder if anyone else has heard or knows of any truth to this?

I think it was Cory, maybe, that said he much likes his later version. Someone here mentioned that. (Squish, did you see the photo of horse riding in Mongolia that I posted, thought that you would like it.)

Yes, my experience is the early ones (like 1-1.5 years ago) were unusable, the newer ones are fine, equal or basically equal to a 200, imo.

That's what a local Stihl dealer said too but keep in mind he sells the things .On the other hand except for Stihl there is no competition locally in the higher end saw market.

So does anyone know what was changed between the early and the current 201s? That's what I'm wondering about.

Good question .Toms 201s' aren't that old if that means anything .One of those,one of his 441's and his 660 won't hold a plug .Now what's that about ? Bad plugs ,bad threads ?

I haven't worked on his new saws so I have no idea .That is except the 441 he thought had blown a piston and all it was is the plug backed out .I thought for a moment there I had landed a 441 to play with .

I've never looked it up. I read something about it on AS that Brad Snelling posted.

I add some compression, advance the timing, and mod the mufflers on them. Then I just tune them as I would any rev limited saw, in the cut.

FWIW when Eddie from Stihl Va Beach sent me that Zama C1Q for the 200T he sent special instructions of how to tune it in .I never touched it and it ran like the bumble bee on steroids it used to .

I'll dig them up and post them in a day or so .

Now that deal with Brad I never saw that 201T ever and I see him two- three times a year .He must have flipped it to somebody else .

Finding the right tune so it accelerates quickly without bogging, and lean enough to just clean up in the cut is where I want my saws. I'm not a fan of screaming lean saws.

Back