Mistakes, Accidents and Near Misses.

My entire career in this biz has taught me that good effective communications between each crew member on the work site, is highly conducive to far greater safety on said job site.

And just because it wasn't SOP in the past is no reason it shouldn't be SOP for commercial pros in the future.

I mean heck they got grade schoolers walkin round with better comm abilities than the typical modern tree service groundie has.

Jomo

I don't know Bermy, but seriously doubt she's self employed.

Jomo

Don't doubt what you're not sure about.

Safety is one factor, my production has improved, jobsite morale gone up, and like most tools I buy, I buy them to make me money, not cost me money.

Bit of a sexist remark IMO.

You don't know me either, care to take a guess whether I'm self employed or not?;)

recently removed a pine that went into 2 leads a 3rd the way up. limbed it most the way. dropped one top. 2nd top had a back lean over some stuff and seemed kinda brittle so I put a rope in it, dropped down several feet to some larger wood and notched it. but when I was half into my back cut the whole thing started coming at me. the union between the two leads went a lot deeper than I thought and held together mostly with sap. I had one of thoes moments of intense strength coupled with incredible timing and flexibility. (90 degree back bend) I just got it to the side of me. it pulled across my lanyard a little as well. also the guy on the rope saw what was going on and was pulling as hard as he could to help correct it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If I'm understanding what you went thru, the roped section went over your back. Am I correct?

If so, then I'd want my groundman to slack that line with the quickness! Had this happen a few times as well. Luckily my groundman did just that.

Therefor I was arming her with rational logic with which to wallop her employer upside the head with like a sap, see?

Jomo

Well, as it happens I am self employed, have been for the last 11 years.
My groundie and I have a pretty good comms routine, visual, hand and voice...but in the bigger trees that I encounter now in my new country, until $600 comes available, the walkie talkies will have to suffice.
As my own employer, I recognized the need for something better than shouting from the top of a tree...soooo unladylike. 8)

If I'm understanding what you went thru, the roped section went over your back. Am I correct?

If so, then I'd want my groundman to slack that line with the quickness! Had this happen a few times as well. Luckily my groundman did just that.
no, I was to the side of the notch, the leaning piece stood up straight then came at me, then went just to the side of me.

Good thing then huh...

That rope would've damn near bifurcated you.

Well, as it happens I am self employed, have been for the last 11 years.
My groundie and I have a pretty good comms routine, visual, hand and voice...but in the bigger trees that I encounter now in my new country, until $600 comes available, the walkie talkies will have to suffice.
As my own employer, I recognized the need for something better than shouting from the top of a tree...soooo unladylike. 8)

My sincere apologies Bermy.

I applaud you having walkin talkies when needed!

Traffic control is one of the most technical aspects of our profession where good comm is a must.

Talking to each crew member with today's comm sets is a huge leap forward in safer operations on a day to day basis, at least in a high traffic urban situation.

I genuinely felt I was givin good ammo gainst your boss Berm!

Work safe!

Jomo

Not sure if I posted this here, but I have in another forum.
Story and pic pulled from that site and pasted here.
This photo was supplied by a member of another forum I frequent.

Since he was not an arborist, "the photo holder," his description of what happened was rather ambiguous. So I'll paraphrase and take liberties— for lack of a better explanation from him.

The injured climber was standing within the crotch of a lower branch, while reaching out to make his cut. As the branch fell, the tips then hit the ground first, springing the butt of the branch back into where he was standing. I'm guessing the branch diameter was 9" or better, with an overall length of 30'

So as the branch came back into the crotch where he was standing, it pinned his calf against the trunk -then sliding down and tearing away at his flesh as it fell away. And from what I understood, he was not tied in. Probably a joe homeowner trying to save some cash.

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries Jomo, all is well :)

OMG that picture is awful! Luckily I saw the red before I scrolled all the way down, I zoomed past it, seriously disgusting.

I carry sterile inflatable leg splints in my slightly supplemented forestry med kit, arm splints as well, in sealed packages.

That poor bloke looked in need of one to hold that mess together and not bleeding profusely during the ride to the hospital.

You're as prepared as you want to be.

Jomo

I hit the corner of my knee pretty hard with my silky on Wednesday...musta bruised the bone a bit because it HURT for a day and a half!
I put knee pads on for the next day's climbing, pretty colour now, along with the classic zig zag hole pattern.

Aw...it looks like a kindegarten boo boo now...much less impressive than when it was dripping red stuff.
Six little holes and a bit yellow around, I iced it the night I did it, it was that sore.

Saw this on a NewZealand webpage earlier. Chainsaw mishap.

How is your foot these days Butch, after the crane thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Run it under warm water and rub a little butter on it, it'll be fine.

I didn't find Reg's picture but did find this story. A fellow brought a chainsaw to a fight.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9xrcABnyu7A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back