mini wheel loader advantage ?

darkstar

Rockclimber/ treeclimber
Do the wheeled mini loaders save big time on the grass/turff/sod?
Or are they just like a skid steer?
Our boxer has new trax and its just eating grass.
Ofcourse we put down plywood but there are times when id need 50 sheets to help.
Im wondering if the wheeled minis are better
What say yall ?
And anybody know of any older models for sale ?
They are had to search for.
I found a kanga on e bay :?
Any help or advice mucho appreciated

Yes, wheeled loaders kick ass on grass. You can spin in circles with hardly a mark.
I have a couple of Multiones (branded as the boxer in the US) at great prices, but the shipping might be a killer.

what do you mean by a mini wheel loader?? do you mean as small as a dingo etc or do you mean same kind of size as a regular skid steer. I have a TCM 804 which will pick up 2500 lbs and doesnt leave a mark on a lawn but it is 5' wide. Ive got a rotating graple on it and frikin love it, easiest way ever to chip brush and load honking great wood:D

I think Jerry's asking about the difference between the mini tracked versus the mini with wheels. Those articulating loaders are sweet, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pete now that bad boy would deffinatly put a nick in the grass ,but i love it.
Come on you guys 90% , no 100% of yall are way better than me at finding anything on the net.
I want a wheeled mini loader. Hoping to find an older one for under 10k.
Got any ideas?
Im not into bidding wars on E bay ,but im gonna bid on a old kanga thats for sale for like 3k.

DId you check out the gear forum? Tree Wise Men has a Ram Rod with wheels. Good deal too.

You shoulda bought my Dingo when I sold everything off.

I would say wheeled is way better on turf than tracked. But like anything, its all about the finesse of the operator.

Id keep after TWM about his loader. Otherwise see if TNTdave has anything used.

Wheeled or tracked, if it is a skidsteer, mini or not, it will tear up the grass, although a wheeled version maybe slightly better as far as that goes. You can do as tight a turn as possible with my Gehl Advantage on wet grass without damage.

The only thing I see wrong with those articulated loaders, is the fatigue from getting on and off it all day. With the mini it's one step backwards, and I'm on and off alot. It might be different with a big crew though, just drive around all day with your coffee.

The only thing I see wrong with those articulated loaders, is the fatigue from getting on and off it all day. With the mini it's one step backwards, and I'm on and off alot. It might be different with a big crew though, just drive around all day with your coffee.

:lol::lol: Coffee and loading it is possible. They are the cats ass and they will tend to give you Operators Ass

If/when I was to buy another small loader it would be articulated like Wesleys gehl.
All our loader has to do is get it to where the grab truck can get at it....

My wheeled mini-skid is really easy on grass. I'd say easily less than the foot damage that would be done dragging all the brush out by hand. If there's a turn to be made I put down one piece of plywood there turn on it and straight shot off. I've done some real high end yards this year with very nice lawns and no damage.

For high end or wet lawns we just make sure to stage the brush in smaller piles that my mini can lift right up off the ground, no dragging. Very little marks or damage. Also make sure the brush is staged properly so that a guy just drives right up to a pile no skid steering around to try and 'collect' the brush in the grapple.

i havent used the wheeled ones, but all summer my tracks have been great, no issues. our ground gets so wet that the tracks leave marks going straight, i dont see how wheels would be better in winter. i use lots of plywood in the winter if i need my machine

Mine has the same tires as my lawn tractor so it's just like mowing the lawn as long as you're not skidsteering. I have no experience with the tracked models though. Best bet for sure if you're worried about a spot throw down the plywood. My 1ton which pulls the dump trailer with the mini has a dozen sheets of plywood stacked up in it all the time. Standing on end so they're easy to come in and out, can dry out that way too, and are always there available for every job. Mostly just for if the bucket needs to walk in somewhere.

Skwishey, I've had plywood stacked on both of my trucks for the last few years now. On my current truck I put down a couple scrap 2X4 pieces to keep the plywood edges up off the bed of the truck. Seems to be making a difference in allowing them to dry out and not rot as quickly.

I priced out the fancy plastic sheets again but I can buy a helluva lot of plywood for $1500. :O

I'm reluctant to do something like that as my 1ton is a dually with a dump, big flatbed with sides so I like the option of being able to use it still in that capacity if need be. Honestly though I only used it once this year as a dump so it probably wouldn't really matter although I'll probably use it for delivering firewood this winter. And I get all my plywood sheets from the used building supply yard here for $5 a sheet so no biggie to replace them. Yah I could get 300 sheets of plywood for that $1500 dollar investment.

It's this truck here that pulls my dump trailer with the mini and so now the back of this truck is mostly just tool storage. Extra mini attachments, all the rakes and forks, power polesaw, spare tires, garbage cans, plywood, all the stuff that's a pita to try and fit onto the forestry unit. Front little storage box is extra saws, trimmers, blower and what not. This truck with my forestry unit has been a pretty efficient set-up for me this year. And check the fancy simulator hubcaps on this beauty.:D

Attachments

• IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 91
Back