McCulloch 805

Al Smith

Mac Daddy
This is one of the very last professional saws Mac ever built . 82 cc's .

I got this one from C4 Fun and he ended up with a Stihl in the trade .

For whatever reason this one peeled the chrome in the cylinder .Didn't hurt the piston or rings though .I found an 850 cylinder on flea bay and did some alteration so it would work .

Rebuilt the carb a short time ago and tested it in a dry oak log which it did just fine .

One pic it's next to a late model 10-10 .the smallest of the 10 series and also by the design likely also to be the last of that series ever made .

Attachments

• Oliver805 007.jpg
    Oliver805 007.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Oliver805 008.jpg
    Oliver805 008.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 8
That 805 is in the right hands now :thumbup:. Hope you enjoy her as she was a good looking gal and needed to be in the right home. 8)

Just remember I want to run it someday. :D

Sorry to drag up an ancient thread. I picked up this ProMac 10-10S last year and it looks to be a very late model with the chain brake.

Mac10-10S010.jpg

Mac10-10S008.jpg

Mac10-10S009.jpg

I found this saw in the mountains of Virginia, I think the guy with me that day thought we we close to Deliverance. The fellow lived in a cobbled up conglomeration of 4 small house trailers that were parked side by side and worked at the local transfer station. However, he had a color TV and carpeting in his little workshop out in the yard. For an extra $10 I grabbed this XL901 and a locked up Remington that were sitting outside. I think the bar for the Homelite was left in a tree when it got pinched.

Mac10-10S011.jpg

Mac10-10S015.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If I'm not mistaken the 10-10 s was the last of that series .It was still being made when McCulloch went out of business or should I say ceased becoming the company it once was ,1998 I think .That model was a few cc's over a standard 10 10 .

Omg, brings back memories of seeing those saws raging in the woods of Maine, smokey, gnarly, and loud (some without mufflers). I never ran one, I trust the vibration is nasty, like a Homelite?

What,those old Homeys? Those things are tough as nails . Although nobody runs those C 5's and xl-12's any more most of them will still run with a little work .

I still see a few around that get used for a small amount of firewood cutting .Every so often a sick one shows up which 9 times out of 10 is just a carb rebuild .

It's great when a lot of thought is given to the overall design of the saw. They seem to be getting a bit more back to doing that today, but the trend for functionality design where saws got so boxy looking still exists, especially for the larger ones. I think the old Stihl series like the 028 are beautiful the way the top cover curve flows into the air filter cover.

The Xl 12 was the most copied saw of all times .One example of that copy is the Lombard al-42 and Comango models as well as several build by Remington .Probabley more I'm not familiar with also .

As I have been led to believe the same engineer that designed the xl-12 also did the other models but altering the design enough so as not to cause a conflict with patent rights .At least that's the way it was told to me .

Those XL Homies were the logging saw to have east of the PNW in the 1960s . I believe when the XL series started in 1964 they revolutionized the industry with their speed and lightness just like the Husqvarna 162 did in the mid 1970s.
I once owned a XL902 and a XL922 passed down to me from a older brother that I used to cut firewood on the farm with. They were ahead of their time in the mid- late 1960s before the Swede saws came over.

Wow....that 3rd down..the bow saw...that looks like what I learned to cut with when I was 16..same size, same bow "toe" or claw on the bottom...very good to see that. It is the saw I had a chain break on...must have hit a rock. The chain disappeared into the woods with a whispering sound like death. Never could find the chain. I don't let people stand in front of my saw since then.

Back in the day people were just as anal about saw brands as they are today .Just like today they liked to boast about how fast their saws were .

In the farming country you basically saw two brands either Mac or Homelite .Generally the Macs were about 250 size and the Homeys c-5 or c-7 .Later it was 10-10 Macs or Homelite xl-12 being about the same size .

Now who's to say if one brand was better than the other ,old Ford-Chevy thing I guess .:)

About the first saw I ever remember using was a brand new 250 Mac that had a bow bar and was used to cut osage orange for fence posts .My cousin and I cut a bunch of them over the course of about 3 winters .

Odd though I never filed a chain until in the 70's .They always sent the saw,bar chain and all into get sharpened .Just the way those old farmers did things .

What the hell happened to the American saw industry?

At one time they were making some of the best saws in the world and all of a sudden the swedish and german saws just took over the market.

Where did they go wrong?

I think it happened somewhat earlier than the Patriot act. Like the late 60es.

Not to say that the Patriot act wasn't a giant leap in the wrong direction.

The reason I asked is that it was something that was discussed a lot when I started logging.
The generation of fallers that preceded mine, all used mostly American saws, but when I started in the woods in -76, they had completely disappeared from the market.

The blue Homie is like the one I learned on back in the late '60s. A circular saw and chain saw I taught myself to run on the sly from Dad. He was correct in them being dangerous. Probably better to give some instruction on the dangers. Growing up on a farm is full of danger.

Mid '70s US engineers seemed to stuff their heads where the sun couldn't shine. Vehicles, saws, etc. Japanese vehicles made progress. US went the other way. Fat and lazy?

Wow....that 3rd down..the bow saw...that looks like what I learned to cut with when I was 16..same size, same bow "toe" or claw on the bottom...very good to see that.

Got a few other bow saws too. First is my Poulan 8500:

Poulan8500009.jpg

This is some sort of Homelite C-7 variant (missing the tag and decals):

SuperXL925017.jpg

Some Poulans, including a 5200, a couple of 3400's and a Pro 405 (since sold):

Poulan3400bowsaw2007.jpg

Mac 640:

McCulloch640019.jpg

I also have a bow attachment for one of my Stihl 056 saws, but it is not currently mounted.

Stihl056005.jpg

Back