Man I swear the gym is best for a climber and ground men.

Football- is that soccer or rugby?

Ducking jobs at the end of the day, ha, I did the exact same thing, I was doing some martial arts training in late my 30s/early40s, just didn't have enough gas in the tank for both tree work and martial arts, so the fight training had to go.

Go on get the pics up. Here is one from last year.

My oldest son, Haakon (7), me and the thai trainer who stayed at our gym for a while.

IMG_2496.jpg

That's impressive Rich:thumbup:
Here's me on my 50th birthday in Jamica, cold no pre pump.
5' 11", 205 lbs. No weight training at this period in my life, just treework.

20150225_121302.jpg 20150225_121319.jpg

Cheers, I am the one on the right BTW... ;).

In good shape mate for 50. Have the last 7 years been kind or cruel though?

Keep at it Ben. Thought your Paleo stuff would sort you out? Or has it been more beereo lately.

Kevin, have you ever been an employee or have you always done tree work as the boss? Tree work is physically demanding and, quite frankly, if you're not whipped at the end of the day, imho you have not given your best effort.

When I was in my 20s along with tree work I was aggressively training in the martial arts. I have been blessed with good genes and above average strength but even at that young age my body could not keep up with the demands of doing both at what I knew was my best. So I chose to keep my focus on tree work. My point is, long days of big removals and trimming work with pitching in to help carry logs and brush out of back yards, will leave you physically depleted, unless you are holding back. If you are holding back you are not really doing all you are capable of.

I see 20 man crews standing around almost idle with buckets, loaders & cranes doing city contract work I can understand that they might hit the gym after work.

My oldest son, Haakon (7), me and the thai trainer who stayed at our gym for a while.
]

Biggun, is that really you on the right, not sure if you were joking. If so, no homo, (as we say in american slang when about to complement a guy), you look like you have serious capability.

In good shape mate for 50. Have the last 7 years been kind or cruel though?
Cruel? Hell no only getting in better shape. My wife and I work out when we get up at 5am Mon.-Fri. By this summer I'll post another pic.

Hey Mick , that baby blue sky in my pics must have turned your "gay radar" on:lol:

Aye Rich Paleo/keto is sorting me right out! Im doing alot of cardio while theres no work... soon as we get going with trees again, will be welcome! 90% diet, 10% output.

I don't do violence though, I am a peaceful kind of bloke really.

That's a good thing and seems to be the case with most folks who train, they have the confidence to avoid a fight and know a street fight isn't worth it.

Background is nice, did your wife take the second picture?
If I asked mine to get those in the background we'd have had a very long silent treatment!

Definetly not even a shred of gayness in that pic….!

Kevin, have you ever been an employee or have you always done tree work as the boss? Tree work is physically demanding and, quite frankly, if you're not whipped at the end of the day, imho you have not given your best effort.

When I was in my 20s along with tree work I was aggressively training in the martial arts. I have been blessed with good genes and above average strength but even at that young age my body could not keep up with the demands of doing both at what I knew was my best. So I chose to keep my focus on tree work. My point is, long days of big removals and trimming work with pitching in to help carry logs and brush out of back yards, will leave you physically depleted, unless you are holding back. If you are holding back you are not really doing all you are capable of.

I was an employee, production climber for ten years before going out on my own. Carpal tunnel and tennis elbow and bad knees was killing me. Tree work is exhausting but it only works out certain muscles and too much. If your working yourself to fatigue on the job it is not fun and it is dangerous. After beginning a regulated strength and fitness program, I don't find myself fatigued after a big removal, my muscles are more balanced. I have better form lifting everything. My point was that you should not look at work as your excercise, it is but is not healthy and exercise and work are very very different things. Fatigue in our business should be avoided at all costs. Fatigue in a healthy controlled setting in order to become stronger is good.

That's funny, I'd never guess you had elbow/hand/knee issues from your vids.

I thinks that is a great post. Can you elaborate on your workout routine?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im stoked on this thread. All i meant is that when i first started doing tree work I wasn't shit. Started going to the gym doing body weight and compound lifts everything got good. never fatigued unless i've had one to many the night before. Pull ups,abs,squats,deadlifts,and shoulders helped me tons. I try to get most of my cardio in when I rake a yard but most of the time thats done.

Back