Man I swear the gym is best for a climber and ground men.

I crank on rainy days at iron palm bouldering......supplement with basement wall and weight. Starting construction on a systems wall for strenth training

Sorry guys if the pics make you mad :glasses2:

What pics? Don't see any or did you take them down..?

I dont do gym in the traditional sense of lifting weights or machines. Can't be doing with it as it is boring as hell for me.

I do try and train Muay Thai 2/3 times a week. That seems to help me with everyday work and climbing. I also think the tree climbing has helped a hell of a lot in my grappling and static strength. We do a lot of cardio ( as you would imagine) pad work and body resistance exercises.

It keeps the fat down and lean as possible without going to silly measures other than the healthy (ish) diet I try to eat.

When I got out of chainsaw logging in the mid '90s and worked in the mill there after , I was able to pack on some bulk. I got up to 18" biceps and probably could have gone a bit higher but found my arm endurance dropped significantly when I started doing firewood and tree work. I even had to stop to rest when filing my chain between sides something I never had to do before.

But just doing treework lifting heavy rounds etc. can give you darn strong core. Funny as I say that, the latest craze here in Canada is fitness training with sand bags......kettle bells are now starting to take a back seat in the fitness world of training.

That was a good one Mick:thumbup:
I know of a couple local retired hard rock miners who originally were coal miners back in their home country of Ireland before coming to Canada to work.
In their 60's I've seen them clean out a bar full of young men with their fists and speed of their grappling strength. Just brutal, blood and hair everywhere.
As I said before here in Canada we don't need the right to bear arms..............we just settle an argument with our fists.:lol:

I don't wanna knock any of u gym goers just cause it ain't my thing. But I feel like the work we all do is plenty. Just do it right (lift correctly) so it builds u up not tears u down. Oh and rest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What pics? Don't see any or did you take them down..?

I dont do gym in the traditional sense of lifting weights or machines. Can't be doing with it as it is boring as hell for me.

I do try and train Muay Thai 2/3 times a week. That seems to help me with everyday work and climbing. I also think the tree climbing has helped a hell of a lot in my grappling and static strength. We do a lot of cardio ( as you would imagine) pad work and body resistance exercises.

It keeps the fat down and lean as possible without going to silly measures other than the healthy (ish) diet I try to eat.

Yea I took them off haha I didn't wanna get laughed off or be called a pussy lol.:lol:

Yeh come on put em back on.... Im trying to get lean too as we speak. Eating right and doing alot of walking (Work is dead, gotta do something), and got my bench setup too

Whoa Butch!

I think work should not double as exercise. excersize should be independent of work and you should be strong enough so work ain't no thang

...I think work should not double as exercise. excersize should be independent of work and you should be strong enough so work ain't no thang

Kevin, have you ever been an employee or have you always done tree work as the boss? Tree work is physically demanding and, quite frankly, if you're not whipped at the end of the day, imho you have not given your best effort.

When I was in my 20s along with tree work I was aggressively training in the martial arts. I have been blessed with good genes and above average strength but even at that young age my body could not keep up with the demands of doing both at what I knew was my best. So I chose to keep my focus on tree work. My point is, long days of big removals and trimming work with pitching in to help carry logs and brush out of back yards, will leave you physically depleted, unless you are holding back. If you are holding back you are not really doing all you are capable of.

I was still playing football when I started in this game, was ok for a while but I found stiffness and aching in my limbs was causing problems at work, Monday's through to Wednesday I was finishing early, ducking out of extra jobs at the end of the day (working for myself you understand) by my mid thirties I'd had enough (breaking an arm during a match helped the decision making process as well)
Climbing, lifting, shifting and cutting is all the exercise I need (or want)

Back