looking for a better pad for climbers

Theres two models of caddy pad, both made by Opsal, at least I have never seen another pad other than an Opsal. Perhaps sometime someone tried to make another type ??
Opsal makes the half wrap, and the full wrap, straight shank.
Now they have in the past made angled shank, they are hard to find, so good luck with that, but they have been made before. I do not think they are a current production model.
Caddie pads are great they do exactly what they are supposed to do, and they last forever and ever.
That said I have never liked the clunkiness of them and looked for someihting more streamlined. I had good luck with the full wrap steel lined velcro pads by Buckingham, but they do wear out, and start to twist on your shin after many many climbs.
I have a pair in the truck I have worn out and dont use anymore, they were great till they started to let the gaff spin, its hard to explain but someone else mentioned it here, so I think it is a common thing with the wrap pads.
Good luck with you Big Bucks, they look damn comfy and I have considered a set before. I really like the Full wrap big bucks., I hate doing up the, leg straps, the velcro made it so easy. Funny the little things we get to think of as a luxury.

That's for the boot strap

Yes, like this.

DIS001.jpg

Image from TreeStuff.com

I need to replace the pads on Geckos. It is not cheap to buy the replacement pads.
Got to take out a lot of rivets and replace,,, any advise to make this easier?,,the rivets they sent with the pads are really tough.

Speaking of the big bucks, Chris how'd they work out for you?

I LOVE them guys. I feel like I can skateboard through the tree now. The angled gig for the leg iron itself is great. The steel cup on the front does not feel uncomfortable or even noticeable. I did 6.5 hours straight on them on day last week and didn't even flinch. They don't shift. Having 2 straps relieves any tension on the back of the leg from only having one strap. The padding is heavy and Im sure some guys would gripe that they are too warm on the skin. I didn't find them warm at all. I mean, they're gaffs. The perfect gaffs cost 110 thousand bucks and are mounted to the back of a truck with 70 feet of reach. So my point is, if one bears in mind that its a gaff, not a pair of slippers, they'd probably find this set up to be marvelous. Combined with the arch support and weight distribution of my smoke jumpers, Id do 8 straight hours on them if need be.

What?! It says this on the instruction sheet for Gecko Aluminum climbers:

"Chainsaw use together with tree climbers is not recommended."

CYA statement.

Like when the manual for Stihl saws tells you not to use the saw if you are not standing on a solid, stable surface.

We sure get a lot of those when bucking and limbing trees in the woods:lol:

chainsaw use with tree climbers not recommended

I couldn't figure out how to copy the pdf file for posting, but if you go here, then click on specifications and instructions, then pdf instructions, it's up at the top of the middle column.

CYA statement.

Like when the manual for Stihl saws tells you not to use the saw if you are not standing on a solid, stable surface.

We sure get a lot of those when bucking and limbing trees in the woods:lol:
Yeah..... :lol:
Here... take this saw, cut down that tree on that 2-1+ slope all covered with loose rocks and brush... :lol:
Then buck it up..........
Realistic expectations in our industry from the saw manufacturers :lol:

Who needs pads when you've got this!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PaqUXSvToEk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ive known of people to use them for removals. The do it yourself type "that doesn't need to pay some tree company a fortune to cut a tree down when I can do it my damn self"

They're not what you guys might think. Ive seen them in person. They're toys. Nothing more, nothing less.

Back