looking for a better pad for climbers

tnh21

TreeHouser
Need some advice on different pads for climbers. I have the super wrap pads on my spikes right now, and time to retire them they seem to twist on the shank to much. I have Geckos at work however not going to invest in them for sidework. Any thoughts, looking at the Aluminum pads.

I use these:

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=70&item=1861

90070.jpg
90070.jpg

I wrote a review on them here: https://www.masterblasterhome.com/s...ltralight-Spur-Pads&highlight=ultralight+pads

AdamP told me though that the while warmer, the Buckingham BigBucks are much more comfortable. I dont do spur takedowns every day but when I am wearing my ClimbRights I never think about being uncomfortable, in fact I always think how at ease I feel. Compared to an 'L' or 'T' pad there is no comparison IMO, night and day.

Whatever you do, the angled shank connection is extremely important.

I had the caddy pads for years until I kicked them to the curb.

Attachments

• cadallics.jpg
    cadallics.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 101
AdamP told me though that the while warmer, the Buckingham BigBucks are much more comfortable. I dont do spur takedowns every day but when I am wearing my ClimbRights I never think about being uncomfortable, in fact I always think how at ease I feel. Compared to an 'L' or 'T' pad there is no comparison IMO, night and day.

Yea, I have the BB velco pads here http://www.wesspur.com/Spurs/spur-pads.html

You literally feel nothing. Downsides are size, heat, and cost.

A big difference that I notice is whether or not I have on two layers of pants, tech pants and polypro or fleece. I think that it is like wearing two pairs of socks while backpacking. They slide one each other a bit, reducing friction on the skin.

Anybody else notice this?

Yesterday, I wore spurs for a good chunk of an 8 hour day, after a long break from spurs. I think that I lost my 'spur callus'/ toughness on my shin, as they were a bit uncomfy, but only a bit.

I wear hiking boots most of the time so my lower straps are actually 1.5" webbing through big cam buckles that I can pull real tight. It makes up for not having a big heel to keep the spurs in place.

Adam, did you buy that webbing strap or make it yourself? Could you post a picture please? I really need something like that.

Yup I made them myself. I think I got all the stuff from strapworks.com. I have an old singer sewing machine in the basement for sewing webbing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366590539.367737.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366590556.153573.jpg

I'm sure you'll have no problems! I think the larger, double straps pads are overkill, however. It's the metal inserts that are the most important thing.

I was in a store with a little tree gear, and was hell bent on leaving with new pads. I only had 3 to choose from and these seemed to be the best option. one kind was "L" pads which wont even be discussed, the next were the super "T" pads which Ive been dancing on for 7 years and am no longer in love with, and last were the ones shown above.

Back