Locking Hitch Pins

NickfromWI

King of Splices
So I bought this to lock my new pintle hitch to my truck and thus, minimize the likelihood of someone just pulling the pin and absconding with my new chipper.

51YPmVo9NiL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

There were about 10 to choose from at AutoZone and this one seemed the most streamlined...least clunky. I liked it.

It ended up being about 1/8" too short. :roll:

Any good suggestions? I've that there are a ton available and I don't like the ones that are big and clunky. To install it, I have to lay down on my back and get up under the truck and there isn't much room under there for oversized pieces.

Any tips?

I like stainless steel!

love
nick

Why not just lock or jam bolt the safety chains onto the truck?

Here in the land of salt and snow I have gotten quite good at cutting those locking pins off other folks trucks when they seize up.

Hey Nick, how about you just use a angle grinder and take 1/8" off the shoulder end of the pin.
Might possibly void the warranty, but it would work, no?

Hey Nick, how about you just use a angle grinder and take 1/8" off the shoulder end of the pin.
Might possibly void the warranty, but it would work, no?

I think that idea may be to rough looking for Nick, I was going to suggest finding somebody with a lathe and shaving off a few hairs. I think you would need carbide tooling.

They may also have longer ones available but didn't have any in stock. Seems funny that it is too short, maybe for a smaller hitch. I would take it back. You are going to need some play to not get pissed taking it on and off, perhaps to switch to a ball hitch.

I know we had problems with those style of locking pins, we found that if you didnt spray them with wd-40 they would rust and would have to cut them off, a real pain in the butt if you have limited space. Check out Diversi-tech the build a complete locking hitch. We own two and havent had an issue yet.

Ben
Bushwacker Tree

A locking hitch pin isn't going to do anything from stealing a chipper. You'll need to lock the clasp on the pintle some how, or the safety chains to the truck.

A good idea on the chipper your size, not much tongue weight for a couple guys to push around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Huh. I'll be damned. Crap.

Well- the locking hitch pin will keep someone from stealing the hitch!

love
nick

Back