least exertive self propelled rope climbing system

I do not like them. You can't roll them up and occasionally I like to use my lanyard to rope smaller limbs when I'm trimming.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm going to look into a chest harness that will have a pulley, and can have an elastic strap HH tender. Sometimes I like to have my lanyard available during ascent, like to saw a quick limb or stubs without taking off my lanyard from tending position to work position to tending position.

If you come across a pic of a chest roller set up I would sure like to see it. I'm having trouble getting it figured out.

Cool. Yup. That's just what I've been looking for. .
Thank you Nick. I think I'll go with the double roller. As I'm kinda barrel chested and top heavy.

Yes, I definatly need the Large harness. Hopefully they will split the Priority Mail with me like WesSpur does. The free UPS usually stops at the border.

Sweet pic Nick. I think that Moss modeling it shows its smaller than I thought it might be. I could definitely get into that. Could probably save the wrists and hands a ton or all of the work, and use mostly/ total leg propulsion.

Yes, I definatly need the Large harness. Hopefully they will split the Priority Mail with me like WesSpur does. The free UPS usually stops at the border.

If you use FREESHIP you get free USPS shipping. It might not combine with the 5% though. Give them a call and talk to Luke or Chad, (877) 408-7337. They will take care of you.

Munter Hitch

I do the rotator cuff exercises. They help some but its cumulative. The more I squeeze and pull, the number my hands get. One reason I've gotten into this rope tree work climbing isn't to protect trees from my spurs. It just a whole lots less work on my hands repelling out of a tree with the HH than coming all the way down with just my spurs and flip line. If I can get going up rope figured out where it doesn't makemy hands go numb on a larger tree that only needs a few limbs cut off it will extend my work.

Hey Cold Logger: Just picked up on this a bit late, and God knows I'm no SRT guy (yet), but; seems like I might have a bit of a short-cut to your difficulty.

1) Platform spurs. (easy up, with a steel core)

2) Munter Hitch. (easy down, srt, no matter a guys weight.) Google "images" Munter Hutch.... Works like a champ on the biner. (beaner?) (carabiner?) Spell-check won't help me out. :X

I do not like them. You can't roll them up and occasionally I like to use my lanyard to rope smaller limbs when I'm trimming.

"Can't roll them up"???.... Man, you just loop em up. Easy peasy.

"I like to use my lanyard..." Ha! That's funny: I like to use my climbline for the same purpose, cause I'm usually working off my flipline. Different strokes for different regions.

Ha! I guess we need to ask Butch. Yeah, the guys in NorCal refer to flipline technique as a "western roll", but I was talking about putting the darned thing away. You just roll it up ya know? Now I wonder what Butch meant. But our wire cores have got him beat on both accounts. :P

I always use a wire core. I wouldn't feel too safe up there without it.
On all bigger stuff I use the 3/4" Yale. It flips and rolls great. But I magine if Butch uses a non wire core he has prolly well versed on the dangers.

That does look slick
Climbing up thru the limbs on some sitka spruce that have had lots of sun is a real chore dragging 2 strung out flip lines with me
I've thot about a 30+' lanyard maybe from Samson Bigfoot for some trees

CL, my default lanyard is a 5/8" x 15' flipline with a mechanical adjuster. One thing that I've been meaning to try is putting a 'cut-able link' in my lanyard system in the event of an emergency. http://www.wesspur.com/fliplines/mechanical-adjusters.html last item. This should allow the adjuster to twist into a better position. Better performance?? Dunno. Don't know of anybody specifically using one (maybe Pete McTree in UK).

Anyhoo, largely I work small to medium (on real PNW terms, just got Jerry's Coast Redwood) conifers. The long rope lanyard is good on spreading trees. If I read you right, you're side trimming, meaning end-weight reduction/ lateral reduction. This type of limbwalking is more like a spreading tree. I've been working on some large doug-fir lately, previously saw and storm topped) doing EWR and speedlining on 40' long limbs. The 40' lanyard saved my bacon for balance and positioning, and gave me a real secondary TIP for while cutting (solid enough to hold if I cut my SRT climb line.

Handled ascenders are somewhat cumbersome, but save the hands some grief. You could possibly also use a Bachmann (IIRC) tied with nylon webbing to give yourself a grab handle if you don't want to carry extra ascenders (don't know if this will practically work or not). You already have use for a couple slings on your harness, I'd bet.

I'm so glad you posted that link. Probably like every one, I hate wrasslin with my D ring Biner, rope grab on my flipline. That tether should work perfectly.

I've been trying to figure out the right length and whether or not too have an eye splice in each end or not. But I will try a standard prussic e2e and swivel biner on it first.

Back