Killing Honey Bees...

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
I have a TD that has a honey bee hive. I've easy access to their hive, via bucket.

I sure don't want to kill them...

:(

I haven't seen a honey bee hive out in the wild for ten years or more around here. Wasps on the other hand have been rampent this year. I would try and save the hive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nobody on that list is in my town. Besides, it's not a "swarm," it's a hole in the tree.

I have had bee guys loan me their suit for the removal until the hive is accessible. If you don't want to kill them make a few calls. Your county extension would probably have a list of bee guys

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha! I bid on trimming those two trees, in the background.

Here they are...

otkfer.jpg

I have a client with a huge silver maple with a cavity in it with a bees nest. Beekeepers came out for free and over a few days pulled thousands of bees out. It was pretty cool to see!

love
nick

Around here they will buy the bees and hive from you. Last year I flopped a hollow black locust and while cutting through the back, honey started dumping out and all over my saw. The saw shot honey everywhere. I ate so much honey that night it wasn't even funny.

Toms's boys cut into a hive in a huge red oak a few years back .One guy ended up in the hospital .Tom swelled up like a poisoned pup .

They snuck back after dark and loaded the log with bees in his dump truck and dumped it in my slash pile where they stayed ,bees ,honey, log .

After about a month of very carefully throwing brush over the whole mess I torched it off .BTW I shoved the brush after dark too .I'm some dumb not plumb dumb .

I have a big old lombardy poplar in Tassie that is on the books to remove...bee's nest about half way up. Luckily the client's dad is a beekeeper.
Gonna need a bigger saw...440/1 or 460, might get a second hand one for what I can sell a 260 and a 290 for on Gumtree...

Heard today the HO is ready to move on the tree...he's going to deal with the bees.

Sure as heck won't be me anywhere near them!
I think I'm far enough away right now not to worry...

Last nest in a hollow I dealt with, I put some screen over the nest holes and pruned the tree. They weren't happy wit me... But I let them out after I was done. :D

I just got one wasp sting earlier this evening. It swelled a lot for one sting. Nothing big or anything, just enough to make me think that I'd hate to disturb a wasp nest while up in a tree, that its surprising that you don't hear more about them getting people, and that I wouldn't want to have a unidirectional climbing system or climb with just a lanyard and spurs on a removal.

Air soft gun on full auto with .38g bb's works great for wasp nest up in tree. After you knock it down break out the Bee Bopper for a little CQB, Or just run like hell.

Back