I.S.A. study guide

rskybiz

TreeHouser
Any one of you have one you would loan for a month/ month and a half? wanting to take the test in March, I had one but It must have not made the move with me from VT.:|:

Good luck to you, it's not a real difficult test. When I took it they had a half day 'review' class available at the test site the day before the test at an additional cost. My employer paid for it so I went and they covered virtually the entire test in that four hour class. Including the review class, I think I had a total of about 6 hours study time invested.

I let mine go,it was a pretty simple test,i had the study guide but I'm pretty sure i gave it to a friend so he could study.I'll have to check.

Good luck to you, it's not a real difficult test. When I took it they had a half day 'review' class available at the test site the day before the test at an additional cost. My employer paid for it so I went and they covered virtually the entire test in that four hour class. Including the review class, I think I had a total of about 6 hours study time invested.

What type of certification did you receive by taking that test? I don't know much about how that stuff works.

That was for the ISA certified arborist test, Bruce. Back then it was the only one they had. :lol: I can't remember but I think my certification number was FL163 or 167. I was really surprised when I got my card and the number was that low.

The ISA certification study guide has been changed significantly this year. They have changed the study guide along with the format of the exam. If this was your only study resource, I'd recommend getting the most recent edition. But if you'll be attending any seminars or classes, then probably any old edition will do.

I got the 5th reprint 2000 gold book which I passed on my 1st try about 10 yrs ago. Probably would be a little out of date for 2011 rskybiz.
Back then the book and my written test cost me close to $500 CDN. Plus I had to drive almost 800 miles return to the big city to write a 2 hr test. My certificate only got me my Manitoba Arborist license. To get my ISA certificate I would have to do it all over again, a real cash grab I thought.
Alot of information in a single paragraph to memorize. Especially with words you never spoke before and don't know how to pronounce . Tree Biology, tree identification, tree/soil relations and problem diagnosis & management were real tough chapters.
Then the mutiple choice answer on the test may be A,C only or all the above.
Memorize, memorize.

Willard

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Knew I should have taken it sooner:|: Bounce thanks for the info, this will probably mean I'll bite the bullet for the new one, but I'll wait till this eve to see if anyone has the recent version.
Willard the biology part i think I'll be fine with as well as the soil, the part for me that will be taxing is the Identification with all the latin names.

I heard the tree ID part with Latin names was one of the things they changed. Somebody (can't remember who, so take this with a large grain of salt) told me they were no longer sending out the list of 100 species and testing people on 10 of them. I heard the new tree id portion of the exam does not even require you to identify a specific tree, but instead just tests you on terminology associated with tree id like pinate vs bipinate and excurrent vs decurrent. It would be worth asking somebody at your local ISA chapter about before you spend a bunch of time and money studying this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I heard the tree ID part with Latin names was one of the things they changed. Somebody (can't remember who, so take this with a large grain of salt) told me they were no longer sending out the list of 100 species and testing people on 10 of them. I heard the new tree id portion of the exam does not even require you to identify a specific tree, but instead just tests you on terminology associated with tree id like pinate vs bipinate and excurrent vs decurrent. It would be worth asking somebody at your local ISA chapter about before you spend a bunch of time and money studying this.

Will do! Again thanks! Sean

The study and test is not all that tough.
I remember 10 yrs ago, I was 43yrs then and when I first applied for the course I phoned the instructer at the University of Manitoba for information. I explained to him that I quit school at 16 and went logging full time and only have a grade 8 education. He said you need at least a grade 12 reading level to sucessfully complete this ISA study and exam. When I then told him I live in a small town 400 miles up north from him and can only do the course at home ,not in his classroom , he flatly said "Good Luck".
This little old dude from the sticks sure surprised him when I got 82% on my first try.:lol:

Willard.

i'll be near gville next week and can bring down my new copy for cheap rental. pm me for cel # :D

The test I took wasn't hard, took 30 minutes after being up most of the night/morning. Got home from a job 90 miles from the house at 1030pm, slept on the floor till 3AM, showered, packed a bag, and drove the 120 miles to the test which was at 8. I'd think I was one if not the youngest CA in the Southern Chapter. I was 19 years ~9 months old when I took it in 2006. My best section was risk assessment, the 3rd worse was tree Id.

I let mine lapse as well. A short while after the automatic 3 or 6 month extention, they sent me a letter saying if I paid $75 and wrote a letter, they would consider allowing me to reup my cert, that was mid last year I believe..

It is not that hard if you study BUT not all the answers are in the study guide ! I just got my cert about 6 weeks ago and have the new guide. Its very helpfull has sample questions at the end of each chapter 16 in all.

Good input Sean, got a guy studying, might need to upgrade the book. I have the black one

I would get after it as soon as possible. I had been ready to take it for years, every time I would set up a test, we would have some sort of distraction that would prevent me from traveling out of town. Was like a monkey on my back, always thinking about it. When I came home from the Corps, learned they have the computer based deal set up (finally!) Made things alot easier.Took it right away. Don't put it off, get it done. You will want the new book, if you can get an old one, read them both. Some significant changes in the new one, so I am told.

Happy studying, and good luck with the test. See you in April for the payback!

Back