Husky T540 or Stihl 201T?

I'm hoping to get my hands on a new 201 soon. I run two of the original ones at work and own one also. I really hope they have redeemed themselves with them. My personal 200's are still running but are getting to the worn out stage. I am fortunate that I have an 020T that is a freak. I bought it in '96 and had to replace the carb in '99. It still outruns and out cuts anything I've ever ran.
I touched a 540 once at a husky shop and the walls started to shake. To me the husky saws always seemed to have a poor power to weight ratio but I've never ran any of them for more than a couple cuts.

I'd like to see the new T150 on the scale.

Just a hair shy of 6lbs PHO dry

IMG_1651-M.jpg

Thanks.
When I tried it, it seemed almost weightless.
Can't wait to get one, after new year.

I bought my 201 in June of this year I believe. It's a great saw, no problems. Starts every time and it is not temperamental. We have no Husky support locally. So if I had an issue if I had bought a 540, it would have to be shipped back to Treestuff. I had a tough time deciding between the two. I found neither had perfect reviews, and the stihl was the better choice for me.

Not sure if it would beat my 200, but maybe I should try racing them.

I saw the question earlier in this post, but never saw a clear answer...Is there a way to tell if you have the newer 201T or the older one? I bought mine new from the dealer in March of this year, but I don't know how long it sat on the shelf before I bought it.

MS201 units manufactured after Feb 2014 had the upgrades afaik.....an honest informed dealer should clear that up for you.
The nice thing about Husqvarna's serial numbers is they tell the exact unit number in the week of the year they were built.

gotta ask the dealer with Stihl's. no other way of finding the Stihl build date that I know of.

I saw the question earlier in this post, but never saw a clear answer...Is there a way to tell if you have the newer 201T or the older one? I bought mine new from the dealer in March of this year, but I don't know how long it sat on the shelf before I bought it.

If it's a good saw, cuts well, then it's ok, if it's a choked up pig that balks in big wood, you've got a baddun. Don't worry about the date.

Well the only other climbing saw I've ever used is the 192T. When I got the 201T I didn't see that big of a difference from it over the 192, so I think I've got one of the bad ones. Plus I called the dealer and they called Stihl with my serial number. Stihl said they couldn't tell when it was manufactured but if I purchased it early in the year then the chances are it was the bad one. They do offer an upgrade kit for around $180. Has anyone used this kit?

Ok, it amazes me that stihl would admit it was "a bad one" but yeah if you're not noticing it is much better than a 192 then it sounds like it.
Never used the upgrade on my duffer.

Got lucky today, I use this loop for the saw lanyard, dropped the saw on the strop after a cut and it kept going! Luckily only 20 ft into soft ground so undamaged.
On reflection I should use the wire one (as I do now) but surely this breakage is a bit poor.
How hard can it be to use material that won't snap?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 66
Joking aside, I can't see why they couldn't have the same sort of wire in the core as the official weight bearing ring.

What's the diff?

Back