Husky 540 cutting and climbing

Buying a piece of shit doesn't help me though. Sticking with what I have that works until they get the kinks worked out is my best bet.

The later 201s and the 540 are cracking saws. Some lemons of course, generally I reckon the huge majority are happy with them.

Im due for a fresh saw this year. I'll wait it out a bit longer. Wont buy stihl. Good saws, bad dealer support for me.

A good dealer is the key if you are to make money with a saw.
If you have two good ones to choose from it comes down to brands I guess, but Priority should be to get a good dealer and run what he has.
It is not that big difference in the saws if you compare them fairly against each other. But difference in a good dealer that know his stuff, help you out and one that is "box store selling" is huge!

Bone stock?... Go with a 540. Do NOT get a 201 in the US, unless you absolutely KNOW that it's a very late model.

I'm eventually going to get the 540 but my little compact muffler modded 338XPT just keeps on ripping with no signs of letting me down.

Yeah, I kinda want to dry the new redesigned 338. I guess they just fixed some stuff? Seems like it'd be a lot better than the 201 or even the 540 in stock form.

I just tap the sawdust out of the front mounted air filter everyday and it's good to go.
Yes these new editions are good and I don't have the lasted model with the extra compression.
4years now and still runjing strong with no issues what so ever. It needs the dual exhaust outlet nmuffler mod to be a performer though.
If there ever was a perfect balanced one hand saw this is the one, very well designed after 20 years of development.

Yeah yeah I hear the safety Nazis yelling "no one handing" ha ha ha.

I've been told that they use this pic at annual arborist recertification meetings. :drink:

Attachments

• elm tree 041.jpg
    elm tree 041.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 60
Ha ha that's a good one Butch.
I have a real hard time with those ISA cats. One saw aerial use course I did with one of these "qualified instructors" he told me "Willard not everyone can one hand a top handle saw like you".
I replied "well those pencil necks are in the wrong trade then" ha ha .

I can't exactly remember, but didn't Justin receive a less than helpful answer from Husky when he enquired about the problem with the saw? Maybe that was another saw, LOL. It seems like a couple variables working, with the individual dealers and how much they want to be influenced by the corporate attitudes about problems that customers have. A dealer that really wants to be supportive of customers, will do so despite the company people that seem less that way. Way back I had a Stihl service center really help me about a seized up saw. The dealer had sent it there to evaluate the problem. They fixed it for free, new p and c, and the warrantee had expired a short time earlier. The dealer basically told me on the qt that the service center made up finding an extra washer that didn't belong in the saw. Kindness prevailed, I guess you could say, and I had spoken to the service center personally as well, so maybe that helped. I know that when i call Stihl about something, wanting to get a schematic or discuss a part, they have always been much more helpful compared to Husky. It is the opposite ways with the dealers in my area, Husky is much more useful. Go figure....

Btw, I know why that large Stihl seized up, and it had nothing to do with a washer. :/:

Wow, quite a few bold statements and assumptions being made about dealers. Willard, my dealer is Savoy's in Vernon, probably pushing 30 years atleast and they don't sell boats, tractors, quads, or otherwise. They sell saws and lawn equipment. They sell saws to all over the province too, for lots of loggers, they also offer full repair/warranty work right up to and including porting/rebuilds.

I have never really pushed the replacement or returning of the saw as really it never occurred to me because in 22 years of walking through the door there this is the most problems I've ever had with a new saw. My early 201 was/is a dog but it runs just fine. They never pushed/suggested another 201 to me, I just bought one because I was in a tight spot for tophandles. This 540 is a new saw that for me has given me more grief than it's worth to keep driving it in to the shop. Anyone here that thinks it's actually a great saw in disguise is more than welcome to buy it from me. Shipping to the US is probably prohibitive, but I'll post up the trade-in or consignment offer and anyone will be welcome to match it + shipping.

I get tired of people suggesting it just needs to be 'set' or 'maintained'. It's brand f-cking new.

Friends dont let friends buy husky:/:

sorry Justin Ill be a better friend next time, I got your back bro :lol: :lol: :lol:

:hello1: "STIHL" :hello1:

I ran a 540 out of a bucket for a bit today and thought it was a good saw. A touch heavy. Good power. LOTS of torque.

I ran Carl's 540 yesterday. Lots of power. I still prefer my 200s though. It might improve after break-in.

It seems like it's running rich in the cut, if you let off fast in the cut it dies. Scott couldn't restart at some point, but I haven't experienced that.

How long does it take to auto tune?

Not me. That was a photoshop! I swear!!!

Yeah, this reminds me of me every time our corporate safety-guy comes into town, like he will be TOMORROW MORNING! Thank God I don't have any removals. Tomorrow's three-hour safety meeting topic: Wildland Fire Suppression.... Man that will go over well with the boys this side of the Cascades. :lol:

It seems like it's running rich in the cut, if you let off fast in the cut it dies. Scott couldn't restart at some point, but I haven't experienced that.

How long does it take to auto tune?

The thread is getting long Carl but I posted about a problem with my intake boot, it needed to be replaced and I was of the understanding that it was a known to Husky problem.

Fwiw I could always make mine die as you described with a throttle blip, one of the things I didn't like about it.

I haven't got a price from my dealer yet, they called to let me know the kill switch was fixed but had neglected to get any kind of trade-in/consignment price for me. That was at the beginning of the week and I've been too overrun to worry about it since. We had a hell of a storm roll through here for our area.

Back