Hunting 2014

My bro and dad will be hunting him way before me. If he is still around by then.

Time to share some more with you all.

Story behind these pics.

Days ago. I ask my dad if he has hunted out of the double ladder stand on my land we put up for my son and nephew to hunt out of in past years.

He hadnt and took some ear corn and apple cider to put around the feeder that was empty all year. Also set up cam to get a look see.

He said he got 118 pics of 4 bucks mainly and no does in pics. Guess where he was hunting that evening. ;)

deer14CPmystandarea.jpg

Got out to do some deer hunting, enjoying the time off...

This area got hit by the American fire mabey back in 07-08, looks like game back in the woods, tracks, bear scat all over.

Did a lot off side hilling, to steep and far to get to river.

just another big sugar pine that survived fire, probably 180-200 footer...love seeing these big trees all over...

Ha, just a lip on the bark Boss...

Big Doug fir (and I wonder why Im not getting a deer to busy taking pics of trees) :lol:

Lots of mountain quail up there in the sierra's...got a few with the 28ga over/under

Thanks all!

enjoying the views

Creeks/springs still flowing here in nor cal mountains = game

My new rifle...ruger 77/44 in .44mag 18" barrel...Awesome Lil' brush buster, very light weight, easy carry, love the SS all weather for those rainy days

Leupold VX-2 3x9 ultra light weight scope

1800 fps with my hand loads

240gr. XTP

24.2 gr. H110

CCI 350mag primer

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's a setup and load for a guy that knows what he is doing. Classy set up. I haven't hunted yet this year. I'll grouse hunt Saturday if the morning is cool and it wont over heat the dogs. I'll likely get in the float tube and duck hunt that evening. We are getting a downpour today and that's going to do wonders to knock some leaves off the trees. When the leaves are off the trees, I'll start grouse hunting hard.

love grouse hunting, we have the Sooty blue grouse here at around 6000ft and up you start seeing em...thin air hunting at 8500ft ish ;)

Its nice the weather cooling down and its good on the dogs like you said..oh, and good on me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ruffs in PA don't let you get close and are the ultimate test of a pointing dog.

I always wanted a .44 carbine, but never got one, as I never know how far I'll be shooting. I may shoot a t one at 40 yards, and the next one will be 240...

We have lots of dense forest here and open areas as well so the .44mag good for max 150yrds and less, my .280 rem for the long shots on small/ med game and my .338 win mag for larger game...just depends were I go

Most off the time in brushy areas so thats why I got .44...and i have ruger Red Hawk in .44 so just carry one caliber ammo...like it!

That'll do Donkey. That'll do.....
Ruger 22-250 Per request ....
I need to get down to the range and finish sighting in. This was 150 already 0 at 100 across the hood of the truck. I really really need to make a table and have a stand. But I do ok with sitting and standing to sight in.
Taken a few squirrels with head shots at 75 yards. Trigger pull is heavy for what I am used to. But hey... I can adapt. :)
Shouldn't drop that low in 50 yards though for the calibre and load. Sooooooo..... Still a tad low.

Attachments

• DSCF0060.jpg
    DSCF0060.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 30
Back