Hunting 2014

Got a chance to hunt Friday evening and Saturday. Temperatures were down a bit with highs in the lower 80s, downright frigid in comparison to what it has been. Saw good deer movement in the evenings and had four bucks in bow range Friday but no shooters. My Bro-in-law shot a nice fat 100 pound hog Saturday evening with his crossbow, I'll post a pic later on. The cooler weather sure felt nice but the mosquitoes at dawn and dusk were brutal. I hope whoever invented the Thermacell is a billionaire. For anyone in mosquito country, if you don't have one, you're suffering needlessly!

All day yesterday and well into the evening, one of my daughters friends was having a Fairy Princess birthday party.. One of the family members pulls up in his 4WD from a hunt. He is just going to make the party with his lady (old friend of mine) while his buddies keep hunting. He is carrying a radio. His buds pull up in a while and tell him they saw some action on another ridge and are headed over there. While later... He takes off in his 4WD and come back with a deer in the bed to show his gal and then heads off to clean it. Comes back, has a beer and watches Labyrinth with the kiddos. He supplied the beer as well. Ahhhhh the life :lol:
No, the fairies never saw the deer, But I know of a couple under 10 year old that already know how ot butcher rabbits with their mom.. :lol:

Very cool Stephen. My kids had their hands in the gutbucket when they were little tykes, pulling out various parts and asking,"what is this Daddy?"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am a trapper. Cory, we have a good variety here. Mink, beaver, muskrat, coon, red and grey fox, skunk, coyote, bobcat, and opossum. I trap coon, fox, and coyote.

Back in the fur boom I was all in too Chris. I loved it. I was like a kid at Christmas as I approached every set, you never knew what you were going to catch. I ran traps every morning through the winter and always took a week off to trap full time. I really miss it but with fur prices here so low, I can't justify it except to help with some beaver problems and catch a coon to eat every now and then.

there was a big referendum in Maine a few weeks ago re outlawing bear baiting, all the biologists were against outlawing it cuz it would lead to too many bears. I haven't heard if it passed or not.

Oh ok, thanks Husa. Let us know how it goes, if I forget to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That referendum will determine the future of the healthy black bear in Maine. They take away effective population control, and we will get to witness what natural population control looks like. Those same people that fought for the bears rights will be the ones crying the loudest when they see natural population control at work. It's not easy on the eyes....

1st pic of turnip patch buck since velvet came off. Cam on top of the hill.

deer14turnip.jpg

Ruger Hawkeye in 22-250 Scott.
I have a tree to cut down so I have a couple target stumps to use for sighting in. See what kind of group I can hold with it. :)

Back