Hunting 2014

It's funny that they do not show WI as having many hogs as there plenty of them up north and they are dangerous and mean lill bastids!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will say this Jay, I agree a varied approach is best. It's easy to suggest from across the ocean. But here in the states, you need money and participants, and there isn't a ton of either to be had in the various approaches. Guys that like spraying lead, are the ones doing the most control. Not my style, but the Internet isn't fixing our issue. Bullets are.

Didn't jay point out that the helicopter hunters were discouraging the sportsman Cory?

I've got to agree with with Chris, kill all feral pigs.:guns:

They wreck everything, eat everything plant and animal, a disease ridden natural disaster.

It's different to PA & Texas here and we have both European and Asian but aerial shooting is best in a lot of areas, different approaches in different states though. New poison and new things like the Hoghopper http://www.animalcontrol.com.au/Hoghopper01.htm do work but bullets are best.

Pig_opening_hoghopper.png

They're not all nice little pigs, imagine the damage a few of these could do environmentally and there's plenty like it. Nearly 500 lbs, some people thought if was fake, it wasn't.

291312-feral-pig.jpg

If you're a nature lover watch this one, it's my state. If you're a farmer watch 3, and 1 is just what a pest they are.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pUyFTCCVSuI?list=PL6A49DAE1E26194D2" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-rAwWon4r94?list=PL6A49DAE1E26194D2" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bNSngI9ttgo?list=PL6A49DAE1E26194D2" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't see where I might have implied that hunting from the air is discouraging sportsmen. As the site said, both play a part in the attempt at a solution. I only looked at that one site, and it seemed authoritative as far as the situation is in Australia. The maps came from somewhere else, it might have been Wikepedia, I don't recall, and only meant to show the degree of infestation, not infer anything else. I was wanting to also say that what applies to Australia may not apply to the states, and I think I said it in such words, in terms of what was stated was the need for a varied approach to the exterminating, which was clearly indicated at the Australian site for that country. If in the states all the pigs are being blasted into a scarcity that eliminates problems, what else could be needed. I did draw some inferences that at least some parts of the situation is Australia could apply to the US, if I erred in that, my bad. Like, if people are reducing the numbers of the animals to the extent that there are fewer people wanting to hunt the animals, and it is true that the pigs are able to replicate their numbers fairly quickly when that occurs, then it is to some extent a controlling program that is taking place, but not an eradicating one. Perhaps it hasn't reached that point yet in the states, still lots of pigs so lots of hunters. To what extent the pigs are being reduced is what I would want to ask before inferring about the effectiveness when shooting from the air. If you say it is working, Chris, i wouldn't say different. I only really got interested in this subject because the video showed a guy taking a lot of shots at lots of pigs, but not hitting anything. There was no animal control going on in the couple minutes of that vid. Sure, just one shooter and one vid.

As Cory also asked, what part of what I posted from the Australian situation, doesn't apply to the US? They didn't say that there is money for other approaches that are being implemented, only that an encompassing program is needed, which you also say is wise. Is that not "practical", if possible, the word I used. Maybe they should find the money. I think that you may have misinterpreted my post, being more an enquiry than anything else. I'm not at all emotional about it, couldn't really give a sh@t from across the sea, aside from farmers having a hard time with crop damage and the like. People want to kill pigs for that worthy purpose, then go for it and good hunting. I'm certainly not wanting to lessen your experience and knowledge, Chris, I meant to say that it is more a complex issue than either being for or against it, black or white, because of some possible emotional aspect. OK?

I didn't watch that video until now, it didn't interest me. Lasted about 10 seconds.

If you want to hunt you should know how to shoot. I was a pretty good shot but haven't fired a rifle in over a year now, even at best not as good as this bloke but good pilot & rifle I could do way better than that camo guy.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/berCDMz2aAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seeing those pigs run put me in mind of this one:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EbI0cMyyw_M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That was a more professional approach than those first videos.
Still probably maimed a bunch of animals, but I guess a second pass could take care of that.

That's a lot of pigs! Helicopters look a lot easier than planes to kill pigs from. How about three misses and the pig gets a free pass, live to tell about it....until the next time.

I was combative this morning on the topic. I'm having a debate on the approach with people that haven't personally seen what feral hogs will do in one night to an acre of eastern woodlands. If one lays eyes on the mayhem and devastation they create, and still feels that it should be handled differently, then so be it. I'm allowing myself to get combative with people that haven't seen the chaos with their own eyes. I can't expect a person to be on the same page as me. It's foolish on my end. I probably would be rallying for alternative methods myself if I hadn't seen what they do. So, at this point I need to relax and sit back and understand there will be varying perspectives. I will say this, if you enjoy the beauty of an eastern forest like I do, and you get the opportunity I see where feral hogs have come through, there's a big chance you'll see why I dug my heels in so hard about an assault type approach to handling them. They're brutal to try as hunt and trap too. I had the chance to chat with some locals where I was logging that have gone after them and they all said they are the wisest animal they've ever tried to kill. The forester for the game commission that would check up on our progress on the logging job I spoke of explained what a financial drain it was to try and trap them. He said it takes a lot of man hours of payroll for each trapped pig.

Chris, I never said they shouldn't be killed.
I simply objected to the sight of those "hunters" in the first videos.
If you want to shoot something so badly, why not learn to shoot.

The way something like regulating those swine ( The pigs, not the helihunters) would be done here would be with a bounty on them.
If the problem is big enough, there should be money to set the price high enough that people would line up to shoot them.
That was how we got rid of the wolf, the raven, the Goshawk and sundry other predators here.
Worked with May bugs too, BTW.

Well on a lighter note. :|:

This is running around on my land. We call him the turnip patch buck. :P

shed13now14.jpg shed14turnips.jpg deer2014turnip.jpg

I know this thread is based mostly on deer and hogs, but................Dove season opens tomorrow in GA!!!! That means teal and geese are only a couple weeks out. Then come the big ducks!

Ill shoot that fuggin deer out I whatever I can get my hands on. Treestand, helicopter, space ship, whatever.

I used to dove hunt back when I was a touch younger. A lot of fun but I couldn't get enough meat off of them to justify the effort. I can't hit them well either. I'm half alright with a shotgun but doves were never my strong suit.

My new shorthair pup is proving to have the make up of what might be the best pointing dog I've ever handled. Glad I waited a few years until this particular breeding took place. He is a bad little son of gun though. I shouldn't say bad. Puppies are not bad. Puppies are in need of teaching. This one needs a tremendous amount of that. His energy level puts my last GSP pup to shame and keeping this new one exhausted is quite a job. Nice dog though. Very good natured and affectionate. If he wasn't I might have lost my mind by now.

Sorry I was a dick this morning folks. Been working a huge uphill job for days and there is no way to get in a bucket, crane, or loader. The other tree companies gave this lady the run around about why they can't do it this time of year or why the tree is so big that taking it down is a bad option. I took the job on but it has out a hurting on everyone involved.

Friend of mine in Colorado had a gsp that wouldn't point to save his life. But he would swim 200 yards to fetch a duck or goose that glided out. That dog just wouldn't quit on a duck retrieve.

Versatile dogs. Bred that way originally. Mine aren't versatile. They come from strictly pointing lines and the versatility is somewhat lost. Could be built in with enough work but i have a lab that covers my duck and goose needs.

I figure the shotguns will be ringing around here tomorrow, as dove season opens at noon. I like to go now and again, but don't care to eat them, and I'm not very good at hitting them either. Then there's the hassle of the migratory bird thingy we are required to fill out. I haven't bought a hunting license in 29 years, and the thingy comes with your license. So I am supposed t go online and print the little card off so I can write down how many doves I "harvest" and send it in to the little folks-who-would-be-God so they can do whatever it is they do with such info. Pure balderbash, IMO.

His energy level puts my last GSP pup to shame and keeping this new one exhausted is quite a job. Nice dog though. Very good natured and affectionate. If he wasn't I might have lost my mind by now.

Ha that is good. Yes, you know a tired dog is a good dog. I have a viszla puppy who is a freaking monster when he's fresh, and a quiet little doe-eyed angel when he's tired. I recently stumbled upon a cool way to exhaust him, even more than running him- swimming non stop and then taking him on a stand up paddle board. He gets home and he's lights out for quite a while.

Sorry I was a dick this morning folks. Been working a huge uphill job for days...I took the job on but it has out a hurting on everyone involved.

Ha broheim, its all good.;)

So Steve Mack's vid was a heckuva lot humane than the earlier vid of that fat pussy ass motherfucker with the AR-15 who couldn't shoot straight (nor pick the right weapon; Steve's vid shows the shotgun is highly effective). Steve's vid shows a humane, highly efficient eradication effort by aerial gunning, without the punk ass "tacticool" element that Jim pointed out, and without the high fiving and back slapping that Ted Nugent and "Pigman" showed in their aerial shooting vid a year or so ago.

It also shows what a daunting job it would be to retrieve all those carcasses for utilization.

I've hunted pheasants with some great gsp's. get within 10 feet and not move a muscle. My choice is Chesapeake bay retriever. Grew up with them, they're stubborn as shit, but they're hard to beat for a waterfowl dog. I'm thinking of foregoing dove opening day for a flock of greater Canada's that have been lighting on one of my ponds this week. Found this lil fugger cleaning out a blind today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 23
This year there was an international conference on the feral pig problem, I believe the participants were predominantly from Australia, Canada, and a number of states within the US. It seems to have been attended by a lot of people of varying backgrounds that are directly involved in thinking the situation. The pigs seems to be a growing problem that more places are devoting energy and funds to come up with remedies. I couldn't find anything said by representatives from Chris's state, but like he said, aerial hunting seems to be the point of attack in reducing numbers, places that haven't permitted it before are seriously looking at implementing it. Some places have had more success than others, somewhat terrain specific and getting the ok from land owners, and varying specifics require varying solutions. Some folks don't like the idea of aerial hunting on their land. There was some mention of the type of guns and ammo as being the most effective, a shotgun preferred. I think what was mentioned was needing to get the population of a group down by as much as 65 or 75 percent to really affect there not being a fairly quick return to destructive numbers. Some resources are going into researching new methods of control as well. A war is going on, as Chris said, and also figuring out how best to fight it. A pretty interesting read on the conference discussion about the pig itself and the destruction that is occurring, and dealing with it.

I would doubt any reps from PA would be there. We as a state seemed to catch the problem quickly. Lucky.

I must be naive, I didn't realize that making money is probably the priority. :|: Otherwise, couldn't you herd them into pens or something, maybe people on horseback, like they used to do in cowboy movies with wild horses. Kill the pigs as humanely as possible then distribute the meat. With hunting from above, after a pig is killed does someone go and collect the remains for consumption, or are they left out there to rot? I could see Mr. Coyote out there watching it all and thinking, "Hey, it doesn't get any better than this!".
Feral horses, an introduced species that competes with native animals.

White anglo saxons, an introduced species that competes with native animals.

Back